Bugs in feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
I got a load of 4 way mix feed yesterday and took a couple of buckets to one farm today and the feed is full of bugs I assume weevils. We get it delivered and put in a vertical feed bin, I looked in the top and could see them all in the feed. Should I be concerned. I plan on calling tomorrow but I doubt itll do any good

Probably mealworms. The adult beetle does resemble a weevil. Picture of the life cycle below. I would inform the retailer that you got the feed from. Someone has a problem. They should take responsibility.

Yea that's it. Will it affect cattle, after filling a 5 gallon bucket up all but 3 inches from the top with feed you couldnt touch the remaining 3 inches with out touching one. My luck the feedmill wont do anything about it I'm small potatoes so threatening to take my business elsewhere isn't going to bother them

Ky cowboy said:
Yea that's it. Will it affect cattle, after filling a 5 gallon bucket up all but 3 inches from the top with feed you couldnt touch the remaining 3 inches with out touching one. My luck the feedmill wont do anything about it I'm small potatoes so threatening to take my business elsewhere isn't going to bother them

It will not hurt them. Mealworms are not vectors of disease.

It is just not right to sell feed like that. I suspect your feed is high in corn content.

It is just not right to sell feed like that. I suspect your feed is high in corn content.
[/quote]

It's a 4 way mix crack corn, bean hulls, corn gluten, and distillers grain. Supposed to be 16% protein

Ky cowboy said:

It's a 4 way mix crack corn, bean hulls, corn gluten, and distillers grain. Supposed to be 16% protein
[/quote]

Talk to them, maybe they'll give you a price adjustment. They should as it's insect infested feed and really shouldn't even be sold.

Ky cowboy said:
Don't threaten, tell them of your problem and concerns. You may be surprised by their response.

Ken

If they are a decent feed supplier they should care. They should replace the feed. You didn't buy bugs and they shouldn't sell you bug's

Id call them and talk. Hopefully your feed dealer is like mine they treat everyone like family I ain't no big operation either but when I go in they call me by name and are always helpful I bought a pallet of 16% 50lbs sack creep feed last year ended up being a 4 sacks of range meal mixed in the pallet. Didn't catch it till I had already dumped 1 sack. I called talked to them there was nothing wrong with the feed just not what I payed for they told me to bring the couple unopened and the empty sack in to them next time I was in town so I did. While I was in talking to them They has their sack slingers unloaded the 3 goodsacks and the empty sack.then put 10 sacks of 16% in the truck walked out and seen it all and went back in to tell them that I didn't feel right getting all that for a simple mix up the boss man told me that the fuel and time I wasted because of their mix up was on him and that he would appreciate me taking the feed as trade for it.

I called and they are bringing over some additive to put in to kill them and going to adj. price. They said they didn't have any in there feed they went and checked. They did offer to come out and bag it and bring fresh.

Glad they worked with you on the problem. This is not unusual this time of the year as many are cleaning out last year's corn from their bins so there are weevils. Processing usually kills most of them, at least well enough you don't notice them. Buy your feed man a cup of coffee next time. ;-)

Latest posts