Bud box

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
Sorry, this doesn't really fit this board, but not sure it fits anywhere else any better.... I hear a lot about these and wonder if they are primarily used for loading into a trailer? Other uses too? What is primary function? I need a solid way to load animals as trouble free as possible. Is this it? Thanks!

They work pretty well if you know how to use them. Have seen people try to over push with them like they would a normal alley and clog up the chute or loading area its more about keeping a steady uniform stream of cattle than pushing all at once. My brother has one that goes back to an alley that leads to a working chute, stock trailer or semi load out. I like it a lot for when we are working them in the chute or loading on the semi since you have to load single file anyway. It works pretty well for the stock trailer but I prefer a normally load out since you can get a big group going at once and seems like get a little more momentum. Once you get the flow of it especially for working cattle you dont want to go back to a regular system.

Our setup has a kinda/sorta Bud Box...not sure I even knew about it, by that name, when the wife designed it into the system -but I think she did. Not exactly square - but I can sort cows into it from a holding alley or the round pen - and, as we're sorting, I can shoot 'em out into the barnlot, the pasture to the right, the round pen, into the hay-feeding pen, or up the alley to the squeeze chute.
Perhaps the best addition we ever instituted.

Do a search on YouTube for bud box and you can see how they work. I put one in last year for the alley way to the squeeze shoot and I was impressed on how it worked.

I have been experimenting with one made from round tube type panels that goes to a squeeze chute. I also load out through this chute. I have found that it is best to cover the ends with a tarp or plywood. Covering all the walls may be even better? The cows seem to go through better than the calves. The calves sometimes bunch up and can't find the alley way. They look at it but don't know what it is and for darn sure don't trust it. They get skitsy and try to go through the panels. When they get like this you have to back off and give them some time.

In the ideal world if you worked them through the set up a couple times before actually catching them, I believe it would work much better. I have seen some of these videos and a couple of live demonstrations but they seem to be with calm cattle that have been through the set up. A skittish cow coming off the range is a different story. The first thing she will do is try to go over the top. I have had a couple of cows where I have found it best to just let them stand in the box until they decide to go through the alley on their own. Patience is the key as always when you are by yourself.

bird dog":2jb16l6g said:
I have been experimenting with one made from round tube type panels that goes to a squeeze chute. I also load out through this chute. I have found that it is best to cover the ends with a tarp or plywood. Covering all the walls may be even better? The cows seem to go through better than the calves. The calves sometimes bunch up and can't find the alley way. They look at it but don't know what it is and for darn sure don't trust it. They get skitsy and try to go through the panels. When they get like this you have to back off and give them some time.

We didn't have it covered to start with and they would do the same thing. everything needs to be covered so they see the opening to the chute as the only option out.

I put one in that leads to a curved alley and it works amazing for calves and young stock but had a devil of a time getting cows to go through it, all they would do is spin and want to run back.

Latest posts