bucking bull advice

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
anyone on here been involved in bucking bulls. I have invested in race horses at a very small level years ago. It was fairly profitable for what little I invested in it. I have been studying The bucking bulls breed. Anyone got any experience with the ownership/investment opportunities in this industry. I don't want to raise them,have females or raise calves. I would be interested in buying young bulls with potential and selling them in the future. I am no expert in any of the bloodlines. I think that if one of the top breeders would sell a percent interest in bulls, they would help and see that they got promoted until they are sold. I am not talking about the top of the top bulls but there young offspring with future potential. anyone with any opinions, please feel free. I love the outdoors and the cattle business. The registered Brangus business has been good to me. I would rather invest in animals that some stock or bond. I have a very well taken care of investment but that isn't something you can go see like animals.

http://www.xsranchbuckingbulls.com/home.html

These people live about 2 miles from me. Once one of his bulls got onto our property and the property of the people next door. So, a year or so later when a coriente bull started hanging out on our property with the 60 jersey heifers we used to "house," I called him. Turned out it wasn't one of his bulls, but he knew who it belonged to and was extremely helpful in contacting the man that owned it.

All of this leads up to...this is a very, very nice, helpful man. He may be able to at least answer some of your questions.

Alice

watched a little of superior auction bucking stock sale. shown the bucking bull's the donor cow-a brahman cross-and the receipt cow a docile looking ol angus .those brahma momas looked like could move you out of their zone pronto

I've heard it is very lucrative.. at the top of course. It takes a lot of "stock" to find even one good bull. Investing with a known producer is no doubt the way to go.

It will be interesting to see if there are even opportunities like this available. I would think the big producers don't have a need for investors.

The ones I saw on tv had their heads up so high,they looked like deer! You gotta have a heck of a fence to keep them in,and some good insurance 'case they get out!!

The bucking bull business has turned into a pretty big deal over the last few years, well since the PBR really took off. It is now equivilent to racehorses (angus :lol: ) in that everybody is chasing the BIG NAME performers/producers. There are bulls that are known for their durability, strength, heart, longevity etc. (genetics) but even with that, not all offspring turn out to be the next big thing. I work with racehorse people and hear it all time. Got a big name pony thats mama and daddy won lots of money and as it turns out I could outrun their horse on foot. :oops:

But I guess it only takes one or two to make it and you can really make some money at it.

Gotta spend money to make money. ;-)

peg4x4":o6ez63wm said:
The ones I saw on tv had their heads up so high,they looked like deer! You gotta have a heck of a fence to keep them in,and some good insurance 'case they get out!!
I would like to be around when they flush those cows. probably a rodeo in itself.... a new event wild cow flushing .

sidney411":1g4jmvpu said:
They just look like a bunch of cross bred cows to me. What makes them "bucking bull stock"?

The years of breeding daughters of bucking bulls to others bucking bulls and of course if the mamas buck themselves.
There is a registry that tracks the bloodlines called the ABBI. This association also puts on futurities and derbys for the young bulls to compete and find their spot.

PLB
Also, the NBBA and others hold compettions around the country. Like it was said earlier it has really gotten popular in the last few years. Investment opportunites are abound for anyone from the expesive to inexpensive. Just Ask. There are numerous ways to get involved, but it is still it and miss sometimes. The Best bulls are just freaks (in a good way though).

I dont raise them yet seeing as I am just a poor college kid, but they have been my passion since I was young and I suggest using some Plummer (CP branded), Hargis or Katich bloodlines. But really depends on what you like in bucking bulls (i.e. fast spinners,high kicks,big jumps) In your area PoleCat,Playboy,and DX10 semen and offspring is in high demand and in use. They would fit into you climate well also b/c of the brahman influence. You'll know it was soon as u see the 3 bulls I mentioned. And they will put some athlecticism and kick in your calves.

The breeders connection site is good for news and auction.
Also so Rodeo Stock Yard, The Bucking Stock Connection.

Good Luck
Dares

Just 2 silly thoughts plb but first, the animal rights freaks are out to stop rodeo, ( mostly calf roping etc.. ) but I wouldn't bet the farm on it growing, and maybe they will get their way and outlaw it completely.

Second, if you do go for it, you are a seedstock producer first, would it hinder or help your reputation to have your animals associated with rodeo?

Once again, I know very little about it ( Rodeo bull raising ).

angus, I would be interested in just an ownership and not any involvement other than maybe going to the rodeo's to watch. I want no part of the breeding or housing these animals. I just enjoy anything outdoors and I have plenty of paper investments. I was just looking for something different. I wouldn't advertise or be involved other than to see if there is any money to be made and watch them develop.

Latest posts