Bucket handles

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Anyone have a way to replace the padded piece on 5 gal plastic buckets? The plastic part has cracked and fallen off all of my buckets and a 25-30 lb bucket gets awfully uncomfortable to carry.

Thanks

I have actually taken one end of the handle out of the bucket and slid a piece of hose on it. did a few buckets that way before the plastic piece tore up, just slid the hose right over the plastic piece. Sometimes it is hard to get the handle off the bucket. I used a piece of 1/2" clear vinyl hose.

I've used garden hose. I've also used pvc pipe, which makes a better handle, but you have to bend the wire partially straight to get it on, then bend it back.

I've used 3/4" pipe insulation before. Slip it on and wrap with electrical tape. Won't last a lifetime but will get you by for a while.

slick4591":37kddfpw said:
I've used 3/4" pipe insulation before. Slip it on and wrap with electrical tape. Won't last a lifetime but will get you by for a while.
Or plastic tubing and tape.....?

Are you talking of 5 gallon oil pails? I just toss the pail and clean another one. I think I'd go with garden hose if I were intent on replacing it.. you could even split it and tape it up if you don't want to undo the handle from the bucket.

I have tried a couple things 3/8 fuel line works best but you have to unbend a few kinks to get it on. I don't really worry about 5 gal buckets. I got to replace a couple handles on my fuel cans but I'm gonna turn some wood and make them as close to original as I can

I ended up just cutting sections of old vinyl garden hose. Works fine

Pull the handle out completely. Drill holes in the handle holes and tie rope to them. Put that garden hose piece on the rope. Put that rope over your shoulder. Both hands are now free for gate opening. Or coffee cups etc.

backhoeboogie":3g0d6a06 said:
Pull the handle out completely. Drill holes in the handle holes and tie rope to them. Put that garden hose piece on the rope. Put that rope over your shoulder. Both hands are now free for gate opening. Or coffee cups etc.
That's what the ground was invented for, so you would have some place to set buckets when you needed both hands for something .

dun":2dh1whip said:
quote="backhoeboogie"]Pull the handle out completely. Drill holes in the handle holes and tie rope to them. Put that garden hose piece on the rope. Put that rope over your shoulder. Both hands are now free for gate opening. Or coffee cups etc.
That's what the ground was invented for, so you would have some place to set buckets when you needed both hands for something .[/quote]

I like BHB's idea the best.

Best solution to missing plastic bucket handles is what I did. Buy an old worn out county surplus Case backhoe that leaks at almost every cylinder and hose connection. You'll never run out of 5 gal buckets with nice new handles.

greybeard":2x35an5l said:
Best solution to missing plastic bucket handles is what I did. Buy an old worn out county surplus Case backhoe that leaks at almost every cylinder and hose connection. You'll never run out of 5 gal buckets with nice new handles.
That's how I got the huge assortment of buckets I have. Except it was a International 460 Utility tractor

dun":oblivyim said:
greybeard":oblivyim said:
That's how I got the huge assortment of buckets I have. Except it was a International 460 Utility tractor
My neighbor told me to buy a John Deere and you would never need to look for buckets, never owned one though.

Latest posts