Brown fat in calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I purchased a couple thinner cows this spring. Had to put the calves into the pick up cab for a while. One locked itself in...
My Modified Mn Winter Calving Method heifers were all fat, and the calves handled the weather without using the pick up.
You could see the smallest calf was the coldest, so she got a new blue coat for Christmas.

Stocker Steve":5xe373ft said:
I purchased a couple thinner cows this spring. Had to put the calves into the pick up cab for a while. One locked itself in...
My Modified Mn Winter Calving Method heifers were all fat, and the calves handled the weather without using the pick up.
You could see the smallest calf was the coldest, so she got a new blue coat for Christmas.
Where did you get the coat for the calf? I've thought about making some for the Jersey heifers if the winter gets too much colder. So far, they are handling it well.
Valerie

here is a picture of my jersey heifer Jezabelle in a dog coat from Jeffers , it is a weatherbetta
this is a size 28 and she is 3 weeks old,and was not thrilled with the whole thing ,it is the top dog landa dog blanket Suzanne
100_0399.jpg

100_0400.jpg

100_0401.jpg

I just use an old baby blanket and add some velcro to it. If you get the fuzzy blanket you only need the sticky side of velcro, and you can use the stuff that has the glue on the back. Velcro on the front and under the belly. Works great and cheap...awesome for bottle or weak calves when the temps are really cold.

Genex sells coats with a small size and a large size. We put them on dairy calves when they are born in this great -10 weather. Really seems to help them. Couple days some you can take off and some we leave on till weaning time. That dog coat looks a little to close to the navel for me to use. Genex has them that have a strap between both back legs also uddertech has them if you search on the net.

Latest posts