broomesage

Help Support CattleToday:

mermill2":1f5r2onq said:
Does broom sage have any forage value, when it is green, before it forms a seed head? Has it any use in any stage of growth?

Winter wildlife cover. If you feed a real high protein supplemnt it can also serve as a roughage for scratch effect in the gut.

dun

mermill2":7uf4tt62 said:
Does broom sage have any forage value, when it is green, before it forms a seed head? Has it any use in any stage of growth?

Broomsedge is not what I would call a forage although cattle will eat it if nothing else is available.

One thing for sure, when you see a field grown up in it, you can pretty much figure that the ground underneath is dang poor.

Any ideas of how to get rid of broomsage on ground that is to steep and to many stumps to get a spreader or tractor to. I know lime and fertilizer is needed on the ground but how do you get it there. Besides doing 25 acres by hand.

Wick":2vsndn98 said:
Any ideas of how to get rid of broomsage on ground that is to steep and to many stumps to get a spreader or tractor to. I know lime and fertilizer is needed on the ground but how do you get it there. Besides doing 25 acres by hand.

If it's too steep for equipment you stand a good chance of having an erosion problem when the cows start making their trails. Why not fence it out and plant christmas trees or some other type of fast growing tree that will have a cash crop value?

dun

Dun, It wa covered in white pines, had it cut for logs, and wanted more pasture. Grass is growing but there is lots of broomsage and blackberry bushes.

If it's that steep I still think it should be put back into trees.

dun

Latest posts