Broken Back

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I have high hopes that all this rain we have gotten will break the back of this drought we've been under. So far, we have gotten 7 inches of rain and they are calling for anywhere from 2 - 8 inches more. Supposed to clear up and then we will have a 50% chance of rain at the first of the week. Its muddy. Its messy. Its different. But I like it! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I am glad you are finally getting some moisture Jo.

We could be in for a h@ll of a ride here in my area. We had hardly any snow this winter and with the dry August and September last year our dug outs are bone dry. I do not know what I am going to do for water on my other pasture if we do not get rain this spring..But then again if we don't get rain I won't have to worry about the cows on pasture as there won't be any pasture.. :???:

congrats on getting a good heavy rain.may it fill your pools an get the grass to growing.youll be bellydeep in mudd for awhile.

Good. Rain is good. It's so green here now... It is just blinding sometimes. Lovely.

Jogeephus":2j30gynv said:
I have high hopes that all this rain we have gotten will break the back of this drought we've been under. So far, we have gotten 7 inches of rain and they are calling for anywhere from 2 - 8 inches more. Supposed to clear up and then we will have a 50% chance of rain at the first of the week. Its muddy. Its messy. Its different. But I like it! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I figured 7" of rain would put all of lower Georgia underwater :mrgreen: Afterall what ya'll call a river we call a creek :cboy:

HOSS":3fdioge5 said:
Jogeephus":3fdioge5 said:

I figured 7" of rain would put all of lower Georgia underwater :mrgreen: Afterall what ya'll call a river we call a creek :cboy:

Saturday the boys were boogy boarding in the front yard. Sunday they decided to take the kayaks down the creek/river. They lost the creek and ended up in the woods. Capsized, bailed out and left the kayaks to drift to Florida. I went down there and retrieved everything but one paddle. I can't imagine where they ever get such hair-brained ideas. Must be from their mother's side of the family.

Jogeephus":ttxkoe78 said:
I can't imagine where they ever get such hair-brained ideas. Must be from their mother's side of the family.

And if you believe that, I've got a bridge about 45 miles east of Savannah for sale....... :lol2:

Jogeephus":edpsujlm said:
Saturday the boys were boogy boarding in the front yard. Sunday they decided to take the kayaks down the creek/river. They lost the creek and ended up in the woods. Capsized, bailed out and left the kayaks to drift to Florida. I went down there and retrieved everything but one paddle. I can't imagine where they ever get such hair-brained ideas. Must be from their mother's side of the family.
Apparently they're not worried about a gator ripping their heads off? You'd never catch me doing that. :oops:

I luv herfrds":17h6jt5g said:
Hope you get a tropical depression Jo without the wind. :mrgreen:
Love your new avatar :D , your puppy?

Yes, this is Elijah aka Eli, my new compañero and riding partner.

FarmGirl10":17h6jt5g said:
Apparently they're not worried about a gator ripping their heads off? You'd never catch me doing that.

They really aren't that agressive unless you get around a nest with young ones and this won't be till later in the year. Besides that, I think the water was too cold. I thought we were going to have hypothermia at one point.

grannysoo":17h6jt5g said:
And if you believe that, I've got a bridge about 45 miles east of Savannah for sale.......

It had to be her. I see no other possibility. :lol2:

It's wet allright. I spent half of last night pulling mexicans and their pine straw wagons over hills and out of ditches.

Jo, has it rained enough to fill up the Bugaboo Swamp? Sure was wild to see a 500,000 acre dry swamp and the gators were mad that they had to live in the ditches.
After so many years of drought are you sure you remember how to farm in wet ground? :lol: :lol:

kenny thomas":27qygylj said:
Jo, has it rained enough to fill up the Bugaboo Swamp? Sure was wild to see a 500,000 acre dry swamp and the gators were mad that they had to live in the ditches.
After so many years of drought are you sure you remember how to farm in wet ground? :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure how much they got but I imagine its full. The rivers here are out of their banks. I have some woods that join a river and the woods are now about four foot underwater and still more rain to come today and tomorrow and more next week. Paved road behind the house is washed out. School is out cause our county roads are impassible for school buses. It sure is different than its been in the last few years. My hopes are that all these ponds and bay will be filled and break the drought cycle and give us our normal afternoon thunder showers which keep things green and growing. I haven't seen this much water since around 1994. If we get what they are calling for we might total out at around 8 - 13 inches but some areas have already gotten this.

My weather forecasters got it wrong again. They took rain out of the forecast for today. Woke up to thunder lightning and rain at 6AM. It's still raining now. :banana: A nice slow rain.

We have made the upgrade from "exceptional drought" to "extreme drought" on the drought monitor. Might make "severe" by next week. :D I've pretty much been able to stop feeding hay. Been feeding so long that it feels weird not feeding.

1982vett":2s37lxr3 said:
My weather forecasters got it wrong again. They took rain out of the forecast for today. Woke up to thunder lightning and rain at 6AM. It's still raining now. :banana: A nice slow rain.

We have made the upgrade from "exceptional drought" to "extreme drought" on the drought monitor. Might make "severe" by next week. :D I've pretty much been able to stop feeding hay. Been feeding so long that it feels weird not feeding.

Glad you got some rain. It was raining here, as well, this morning. Big thunder boomers. It's sunny now. If only we could get this wind to calm down. I'm about tired of the wind. It really wears me out. It pretty much dries out all the benefit we get from the rain. I'm thankful for the rain, though. It is just blindlingly green.

1982vett":7wl96osw said:

I really feel for you. Our drought has been bad enough but ours wouldn't hold a candle to yours.

Its been raining here since yesterday and its still coming down. We don't need this much but I'm not going to complain. We are now under a flash flood watch. The amount of moisture is unbelievable and we still have more coming. The green, like Lammie says, is almost blinding. I hope we are entering into a new era.

As soon as I say something, our weather will go "poof" and we'll have a drought or flood. But for this one brief shining moment it's really nice here. Enough moisture that grass is growing but not so much that we have mud. And green. Really green, like y'all are talking about. March went out like a lamb.

Lammie, you weren't wrong about the wind. I'ts blowin 28 mph with gusts to 41, sunny and 66. Got 2/10ths. Pastures are greening up enough that I went bull shopping this morning. Jogee, seems like the last 10 years have either been to dry or to wet. I guess we just don't remember when the were just right.

Latest posts