Broke Down Cow...Paralyzed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullhauler

Reaction score
I have a cow that has been down for two days. All of her vital signs are good, and she's eating and drinking well, but she just won't get up!!! Someone said she might be paralyzed, but she can move all her legs and tail? I'm not ready to give up on her yet, and neither is her four month old calf. Any Suggestions?

Bullhauler":14gg55uy said:
I have a cow that has been down for two days. All of her vital signs are good, and she's eating and drinking well, but she just won't get up!!! Someone said she might be paralyzed, but she can move all her legs and tail? I'm not ready to give up on her yet, and neither is her four month old calf. Any Suggestions?
call a vet before its to late , if your not ready to give up on her make that call, hope everything turns out for the better,

I had a 5 year old cow last year get down and stayed down 3 weeks and got up. I took good care of her though and she ate good and drank good. Had a calf about 4 months old and it nursed her laying down. I saw her before she got down and she would start trembling and go down. After a rest she would get up again for a short period until she was just down. She had a bruised nerve I think and could have been from the bull or who knows. I still have her and is an intelligent cow. She made sure she was in the shade the last time she was up and would rock over for the calf to nurse her. As she went along she would get up and move a short piece at almost a running walk trying to get to the next shade and go down. Her legs would be bent and she would be all bent down but would be up. I fed her twice a day and was not going to give up cause she was determined not to. I think her trouble was in her lower back somewhere. Good luck with her. Dont really know if the vet will help that much other than send you a bill.

my neighbor come up friday he had a cow down that had just had a calf she tried to get up but she was trembling trying to get up we gave the calf milk replacer fri night and the cow something for calcium defficency dont remember the name of the med but we tried to help her get up but she couldn't sat he had to look for her she was fine dont know if this will help your situation just thought i would pass it along !

She need some steroids, might have a pinched nerve or
swelling. Call a vet- a cow with a calf is worth saving. ;-)

you need to get a set of hipplifters.an start lifting that cow now dont let them stay down that long.they lose muscle.as for a cow trimbing an shaking going down it souds like milk fever.but if its not treat.itll kill the cow fast.but get the cows lifted an see if they can stand at all or just hang there in the air.

This cow that I had didnt have milk fever. I dont think milk fever would occur 4 mos. after calving. I could be wrong though on that. As for the lifting. Sometimes a cow needs time to heal and the lifting can do more harm than good sometimes. Patience sometimes is the best medicene.

Latest posts