Brits and organic

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Organic sales slow down in Great Britain
Shoppers in Great Britain are no longer buying organic milk in ever-increasing numbers, reports the Telegraph newspaper Web site. Zero growth over the past 12 weeks may be due, in part, to the price premiums carried by the organic products.

When I worked at the county extension office (not the Earth County Ext. Office), I heard enough about organic farming to keep me from ever eating anything organic.

Now I'm certain that all I heard were the horror stories...I'm certain that organic food is quite safe...but I just can't get what I heard outta my mind.

Alice

I heard several years ago that organic apple producers in Washington were having a problem making a profit. So many of them had gone organic, there was a surplus of organic apples.

WalMart is going to go organic, I hear. That will really create a demand for organic products. But they'll pressure the producers to raise them at a lower price. I think it could be interesting for organic producers in the next few years.

I always make the vegans mad when I tell them that the USDA says organic produce is no safer, healthier or nutritious than conventionally raised produce. :lol:

MillIronQH wrote:
I don't even know where "Earth County" is Z

Me either...

Alice

Maybe she meant Erath. That is close to Earth.

Alice":trcsmpsw said:
When I worked at the county extension office (not the Earth County Ext. Office), I heard enough about organic farming to keep me from ever eating anything organic.

Now I'm certain that all I heard were the horror stories...I'm certain that organic food is quite safe...but I just can't get what I heard outta my mind.

Alice

Okay you've got my curiosity going-what did you hear?

That there was no way organic vegetables could be washed or cleaned well enough to totally keep from running the risk of getting Ecoli. The county agent said he wouldn't eat organic food for anything. He went into more elaborate detail, but the gist of it was that the "natural" fertilizer wasn't worth running the risk of Ecoli. There was also something about killing the vegetable bugs organically or naturally that I don't remember other than it was rather unpleasant.

Now, is this the absolute truth, or is it paranoia? I dunno...but it's enough to put me off...

Alice

Latest posts