Bristly Starbur in bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

Florida cattle

Reaction score
Anybody have any problems with Bristly Starbur (Goatshead) in their hay fields or pasture. I've got some popping up in my 20 acres of newly sprigged Russell bermuda, I'm looking for a spray but have not found anything labeled for it on pasture yet. Maybe I've overlooked something.

Possibly soil is low in Ca, P and humus. High in S and Cu.
Sorry can't help with the spray.

Nope Soil has been tested before planting, would not of made much sense to invest in planting 20 acres without a soil test ;-)
This is a new hay field that has been in crop production for over 50 years with the past 2 years in cotton, the starbur was easy to control in the cotton but like I said haven't found anything labeled yet for it and pasture.

In the organic books, they tell your to drag carpert behind you truck or ATV. Carpet picks up sticker and then you burn the carpet.

Get with your county extension agent. They normally have current information.

And.... throw you some sheep in there. They will pick up all the burrs for you. :banana:

grannysoo I'll buy the sheep if you'll come over to the panhandle and keep the wool cleaned out so they can remain at maxium harvest capacity :D

Florida cattle":17mxa564 said:
Anybody have any problems with Bristly Starbur (Goatshead) in their hay fields or pasture. I've got some popping up in my 20 acres of newly sprigged Russell bermuda, I'm looking for a spray but have not found anything labeled for it on pasture yet. Maybe I've overlooked something.

Basagran? Or 2,4-DB?

Just guesses off the top of my pointy little head.
;-)

Maybe Roundup (glysophate) is your only choice. :roll:

The bermuda should shade it out if you have the correct growing conditions?

Florida cattle":3hi95cx2 said:
Nope Soil has been tested before planting, would not of made much sense to invest in planting 20 acres without a soil test ;-)
This is a new hay field that has been in crop production for over 50 years with the past 2 years in cotton, the starbur was easy to control in the cotton but like I said haven't found anything labeled yet for it and pasture.
what was the percentage of organic matter in your soil test?

Florida cattle":3mbs5ott said:
grannysoo I'll buy the sheep if you'll come over to the panhandle and keep the wool cleaned out so they can remain at maxium harvest capacity :D

I tried shearing a sheep one time. Only one time. :dunce:

If I ever get any more, they would have to be hair sheep.

Thanks Mike C I will check into the overdrive.
Grannysoo I noticed you said tried to shear a sheep so I take it the job was not sucessfully completed?

Latest posts