Brisket

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Does a prominent or heavy brisket have any adverse affect on a female, except in the show ring?

I noticed with a lot of my cattle, the ones with heavier briskets were the ones that were meatier and thicker bodied.

Will a calf "grow into" a loose skinned neck / brisket?

TheBullLady":1qy4tumn said:
Does a prominent or heavy brisket have any adverse affect on a female, except in the show ring?

I noticed with a lot of my cattle, the ones with heavier briskets were the ones that were meatier and thicker bodied.

Will a calf "grow into" a loose skinned neck / brisket?

Any old time fleck simmental breeder i ever talked to said the more "leather" the more milk. Seems to sun true even in my lightly modern simmental influenced mongrels.

had 2 heifers with large briskets that would not breed. Don't know if that had something to do with it or not?

That is interesting to me, Joe....we have a heifer that had a large swelling in the brisket area, not a snake bite or anything...very uniform and firm, like there was a nerf ball in there. Vet even ultrasounded it (nothing seen), tried to aspirate fluid (unable to); CBC and blood chemistry normal. She aborted about 3 weeks before we expected her to calve. We sent the fetus (surprisingly very small) and afterbirth for an abortion screen. Results indicated "incompetent cervix" (bacteria from fetus consistent with external bacteria). Guessing that the fetus died early since it was about the size of a large cat. We still don't know if the "nerf ball" was related to this or not; it's still there. Vet is reluctant to open it, too many blood vessels in that area. A big disappointment for us to lose her first calf and not sure what we'll do with her yet. Anyone have anything similar ever happen (nerf ball, incompetent cervix)? Try her again or will her cervix be forever incompetent?

We've got one cow that looks like she has a volleyball in her brisket, heifer calf the first year and 2 75 lb twins last year.

dun

Latest posts