Bringing Home the B...ull

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
I lease a bull each year for the breeding session... (Well sort of)... My friend, whom I referee HS basketball with, never charges me... It bothers me a bit, since he does it for a living and for me it's just a hobby and a tax shelter...
I have often thought of getting my own bull, but he discourages me from doing it since I have a very small herd and it would be another mouth to feed through the winter...
What is the going rate for Bull Leasing?
I suppose it could depend on the credentials of the bull, but these bulls are, I would guess, run-of-the-mill Black Angus working class bulls.

In my area it seems to run $250-$300 for the season.

If you have a different calving season than your friend and he uses the same bull earlier in the year he could be thinking that when the bull is at your place he's not feeding it.

I would offer him some money for leasing and if he refuses you are at least showing him you aren't trying to take advantage of him. Otherwise maybe you could give him a hand a few times during the year when he needs help working cattle or someone to drive tractor.

ChrisB":3bspu8kb said:
In my area it seems to run $250-$300 for the season.

If you have a different calving season than your friend and he uses the same bull earlier in the year he could be thinking that when the bull is at your place he's not feeding it.

I would offer him some money for leasing and if he refuses you are at least showing him you aren't trying to take advantage of him. Otherwise maybe you could give him a hand a few times during the year when he needs help working cattle or someone to drive tractor.
His Calving season is much earlier than mine... His cows are dropping calves in Dec., Jan., & Feb. Mine come in April... So his bulls are just standing around looking good when I get them...
I have offered to come over and help, but his Dad and he have their annual routine... But I always let him know anyway that I am available as a strong back weak minded helper...
Thanks for the tip on $$$ figures though...

Back when I borrowed my neighbors bull, I paid him $200 for around 75 days usage. This was also using his bull during the off season, which became a problem for me as I also wanted to start having spring calves, so I finally purchased my own bull.

By the way, $200a yr upkeep for a bull would be very welcome around here nowadays!

i loan my bull to a couple of my neighbors and i don't charge, because they are doing me a favor by keeping him busy during the off season. as long as they take good care of him they are really helping me too. i keep my breeding season to 60 days in the spring. it is harder if you have to leave the bull alone they get in trouble. i would offer just to let him know you appreciate him loaning the bull to you.

I'm curious what you all do when you lease bulls...when they come back home, do you quarantine them, vaccinate, test for diseases or anything? What do you require of the person leasing them insofar as their cows are concerned (written contract, vaccinations, etc.)?

Gale Seddon":1bvixqb8 said:
I'm curious what you all do when you lease bulls...when they come back home, do you quarantine them, vaccinate, test for diseases or anything? What do you require of the person leasing them insofar as their cows are concerned (written contract, vaccinations, etc.)?

I was wondering the same thing. Trich scares me to death.

MikeC":2ril8fnx said:
Gale Seddon":2ril8fnx said:

I was wondering the same thing. Trich scares me to death.

The only time I rented a bull, and I checked it out completly for this area, it was $25 a head for 90 days and of course I fed him and kept him in the same shape he came in.

Alan

I'm sorry I should also say that it was a registered bull on registered cows.

Alan

If he will not acept money take his family out to eat at a fancy place or give him gift certificates to some place nice for him and his family

I'm agreeing with Gale and Mike C.What do you people require of others that lease your bulls and then bring them back into your own herds.Apparently there is no problem with it and a lot of people do it. But I like my bull to much to lease him out when I don't need him for a short time frame and I'm afraid of what he may get into or bring back home to his girlfriends.JMO

I loan my bull to a freind he takes him when I would pen him away from the cows anyway, he has the same vaccination program that I do, he takes good care of him, I don't charge him anything but if I need help with something he will come and help me. We run him right back with cows when he comes home, so far we hav'nt had any trouble.

~

simcross":y39l5bbe said:
If he will not acept money take his family out to eat at a fancy place or give him gift certificates to some place nice for him and his family

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Gas cards would be my second suggestion.

simcross":2qsrc260 said:

We did this with a neighbor that tilled our garden for us, he would not accept any money so first time we caught him in Pizza hut we paid for his ticket with out him knowing.

Don't you worry about STDs? I think I would keep a good bull calf and use him till he was three before I would lease bull. The weight gain should pay for his keep and no loss of sleep over what he brought with him in the way of extra medical problems.

Don't you worry about STDs? I think I would keep a good bull calf and use him till he was three before I would lease bull. The weight gain should pay for his keep and no loss of sleep over what he brought with him in the way of extra medical problems.

Latest posts