Bringing frozen beef on an airplane ?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
My girls and I are headed down to Florida next week to be beach bums. I really want to bring some tenderloins with us but I can't get a clear cut answer from deltas website on the rules. I was going to bring a small soft cooler (6-pack size) as a carry-on. Any one have any experiences with this? Thanks.

ohiosteve":d2mvnjbs said:
My girls and I are headed down to Florida next week to be beach bums. I really want to bring some tenderloins with us but I can't get a clear cut answer from deltas website on the rules. I was going to bring a small soft cooler (6-pack size) as a carry-on. Any one have any experiences with this? Thanks.
Freeze them then get some dry ice and pack in a styro foam cooler and fed ex them to the hotel have hotel hole for you. Time it so they arrive the day you get there or next day. I receive Omaha steaks from a vendor packed that way and they are frozen when they arrive and still has a little dry ice left in cooler.

I don't know about the amount of beef that you are talking about. But my Ex couldn't fly with a moose he killed. He had to buy a car and drive it home. :lol:

I did read that most cooler packs are not allowed. They are deep frozen and vacuum packed I planned on doing like hook said. Should only be 4 to 5 hours so I think they'll be fine as long as they let me carry them on. The fed ex idea was also mentioned to me by a friend but I'm afraid I don't have enough time to pull that one off.

I Once packed an entire cut deer into my carry on bag and put it over head. Granted it was a large duffle bag but i did get some strange looks. The other deer was all in a cooler I had filled with frozen meat and taped up after inspection. All before check in baggage weight limits went all crazy. I think it was 90 lbs if I remember correctly

I probably won't be bringing as much as your ex BCG, but if I did have some moose I would bring it for sure. I've always heard moose was some of the best meat there is to eat. Never tried it though. Elk on the other hand I do not care for. Way too gamey.

ohiosteve":1n3ndkvv said:
I probably won't be bringing as much as your ex BCG, but if I did have some moose I would bring it for sure. I've always heard moose was some of the best meat there is to eat. Never tried it though. Elk on the other hand I do not care for. Way too gamey.
I have tried all of it. The elk was less "gamey" than the venison for sure. Moose burgers are really good. But a whole lot depends on where they were taken from and what they had been eating. I think that it makes a difference.
Did you call the airlines??

When I leave Syracuse to come home with my heavy carry on of cheese, I have to take it all out of carry on, into bins, goes through machine, put it all back in carry on. It is wrapped by the cheese factory so they see the labels. I think they get a lot of that there. Maybe the web site has a section on home made foods you can look through.

Hook":1gpcm8rd said:
I Once packed an entire cut deer into my carry on bag and put it over head. Granted it was a large duffle bag but indid get some strange looks. The other deer was all on a cooler I had filled with frozen meat and taped up after inspection. All be ogre check in baggage weight limits went all crazy. I think it was 90 lbs if I remember correctly
You are NOT native to Florida. Whether you know it or not, you have some Arky country bumpkin in the woodpile. That made me laugh.
Before 9/11/2001 we used to pull some crazy stuff when we traveled Southern Air. Lord I could tell stories.

Hook":hzm93ts4 said:
Sorry my spelling was so bad. Makes me look even more Arkie. Actually I'm
More okie in the bloodlines.
I'm so sorry. Forgive me :lol:
I'm right on the state line (AR/OK). If I ever had to leave Arkansas (and I've been ask a couple times) my first choice would be OK. My second would be north central TX. I really like the scenery in eastern TN, and KY, New England areas, northern GA, and all the Rocky Mtn states. I just could not cabbage on to the people. My times in those areas were brief, so I have no reason to reject them as places to live; just first impressions.
Now I will say our family vacation in the FL panhandle was much to my surprise a pleasant experience. That was about 12 years ago

I believe that shipping it would be your best bet. Let the hotel know that you will be receiving a package.
A lady told me at the Farmers' Market yesterday that the airline would not allow her to bring eggs on the plane. She had to leave them at the airport

chippie":2subcd0x said:
I believe that shipping it would be your best bet. Let the hotel know that you will be receiving a package.
A lady told me at the Farmers' Market yesterday that the airline would not allow her to bring eggs on the plane. She had to leave them at the airport
Might just be a whole lot easier to by some meat there! :lol:

ohiosteve":m24zgjpe said:
Why not just have them shipped Fed-X or UPS to your home? Folks like Omaha Steaks do it all the time in simple styro foam coolers with dry ice.

I brought steaks with me in a carry on bag== they joked about having to confiscate them :).

I'm sure shipping them is the safe bet but It's out of the question for me at this point. I will call Delta in the morning and hopefully talk to a human being. It's not really that big of a deal but I'd really like for us to eat like royalty and I'm not going to buy a tenderloin at the grocery store. I will however buy seafood and I know we will be eating a lot of that. There's also a real good chance we're going to get to go shark fishing thanks to my boss. He says his guy knows the honey holes, I'm hoping that works out.

Freeze solid, and put in a small insulated pack, and put that pack in your carry on. Shouldn't have any problems. Unfortunately, shipping it would likely cost more than buying meat when you get there.

No problem. Just packed the frozen beef in a small soft cooler and put it in my carry-on. They pulled it out and x- rayed it but no problem, the flight however is delayed so now we wait.....

Latest posts