Brilliant!

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Anybody got a Gallagher 800 fence box?

Wife went up to a rental property to check on cows tonight. Long story short, she bent down and laid her forehead against the electric wire. Claims to have seen the bright white light everyone talks about and got the breath knocked out of her. After she regained composure and made it home she looked in the mirror and had a black streak across her face. Think I need more ground rods?

cfpinz

cfpinz":hlfi26h7 said:

Wife went up to a rental property to check on cows tonight. Long story short, she bent down and laid her forehead against the electric wire. Claims to have seen the bright white light everyone talks about and got the breath knocked out of her. After she regained composure and made it home she looked in the mirror and had a black streak across her face. Think I need more ground rods?

cfpinz

Yeah you need another ground rod, shoved up your butt. We have M800 but it hasn;t had that affect on me, but it does make you sit and watch the little animals for while when it bites you.

dun":2vid82vc said:
cfpinz":2vid82vc said:

cfpinz

Yeah you need another ground rod, shoved up your butt. We have M800 but it hasn;t had that affect on me, but it does make you sit and watch the little animals for while when it bites you.

You ever tried to pee on it?

cfpinz":ufhi7ara said:
dun":ufhi7ara said:
cfpinz":ufhi7ara said:

cfpinz

You ever tried to pee on it?

Nope, I'm not one of those that Will Rogers spoke about. Did have a guy pee on the magneto on an old tractor to warm it up so it start. City folks can be so much fun.

cfpinz":1w76yewy said:

cfpinz

Sounds to me like it did what it was supposed to do. No need to put any more ground rods in unless you do it like Dun suggested! :lol:

when a fence charger hitts you like that .an stuns you for a few mins.you know its working right.an that the cows aint gonna touch it.

Well, that sounds about as smart as me. I bent down to one of our boxes and the sun was shining on the light so I couldn't tell if it was on so I cupped both hands around the light - and both connections at the same time. I actually saw those little flashing lights circling around my head and my hair actually stood on end and my teeth really hurt. I don't like electric fences.

cfpinz":3ll8dc5c said:

cfpinz

Tell about the gate where you were helping someone with their hot wire!

dun":3nd3js54 said:
Tell about the gate where you were helping someone with their hot wire!

That wasn't my fault. The owner of the place decided to run a hot wire around his goat lot. Laid the hotwire against the woven wire in the process. Asked me to take a look at it. Gallagher M1000 with only 1 ground rod driven in rocks, (told him 5 minimum). When I touched the gate to go in the field it took my breath and I can sympathize with sidney on her teeth hurting. Ticked me off so bad I hooked it back up and left it. Fried the box (6 mo old) and it's at the co-op now. Owner has fried their loaner box in the meantime. Can't wait to hear him explain that one.

cfpinz

OUCH. I have really only had 2 experiences with getting shocked. One I was trying to close a spring gate around our water tank, and the wire caught my zipper...Second, it was mid-January, and the calves somehow got one of our pipe gates unhooked, and as I was trying to hook it back up, the chain hit the wire, with my other hand on the gate! My hands were changing from white, to red, and back to white.
It was really cold out that day, and now I make sure that I hook those gates far enough from the hot wire!

OUCH! :shock:
Husband got shocked unhooking the hot wire. The handle had a short in it; he found out.
Father in law told him he was crazy for ripping the wire off the fence until he too got shocked. It got fixed.
Host son from Germany told us about him and his friends out one night and peeing on a hot wire. City folk sure are fun to play with.
I got shot off of a water hydrant a few years ago. The electric meter shorted out, send a jolt of electricity up the water line and knocked me flat. I felt it cross my chest and stop my heart. All I could think was I'm dead. Nobody was around, but my heart restarted. Power guy told me that if I had been closer to it, there was a good chance my heart wouldn't have restarted.
I hate working near anything electrical.

I luv herfrds":gqa4ds8p said:
OUCH! :shock:
Husband got shocked unhooking the hot wire. The handle had a short in it; he found out.
Father in law told him he was crazy for ripping the wire off the fence until he too got shocked. It got fixed.
Host son from Germany told us about him and his friends out one night and peeing on a hot wire. City folk sure are fun to play with.
I got shot off of a water hydrant a few years ago. The electric meter shorted out, send a jolt of electricity up the water line and knocked me flat. I felt it cross my chest and stop my heart. All I could think was I'm dead. Nobody was around, but my heart restarted. Power guy told me that if I had been closer to it, there was a good chance my heart wouldn't have restarted.
I hate working near anything electrical.

That's the sotry, your version anyway. Now how is that different then you intentionally knocking your wife into the hotwire.

My job for this weekend is to get my electric fence charged.. Ran a 20A circuit to an outbuilding close to the fence this week.. Just gotta get the charger plugged in, hooked up, and probably do a little initial troubleshooting and short-finding..

I ran about 16,000 feet of hi-tensile wire (on foot), half of which will be hot.. Right about a mile and a half.. I'm putting a so-called "50-mile" 2 output-joule charger on it, and I've got four 8' ground rods buried and connected to the cold wires.. The cold wires will go to the ground on the box so it'll still work when the ground's as dry as it has been lately..

I'm hoping for 5kV, since it's my perimeter fence..

I almost went for 10kV, but something deep down tells me I'm going to get to experience the fence for myself one day, so I thought better of it. :lol:

cmjust0":27o8zhld said:
My job for this weekend is to get my electric fence charged.. Ran a 20A circuit to an outbuilding close to the fence this week.. Just gotta get the charger plugged in, hooked up, and probably do a little initial troubleshooting and short-finding..

I ran about 16,000 feet of hi-tensile wire (on foot), half of which will be hot.. Right about a mile and a half.. I'm putting a so-called "50-mile" 2 output-joule charger on it, and I've got four 8' ground rods buried and connected to the cold wires.. The cold wires will go to the ground on the box so it'll still work when the ground's as dry as it has been lately..

I almost went for 10kV, but something deep down tells me I'm going to get to experience the fence for myself one day, so I thought better of it. :lol:

cm--Kencove.com has a lot of good info on electric fencing.
kencove doesn't recommend grounding the fencer (charger) and the cold wires to the SAME ground field.
Hook your fencer to the 4 ground rods you have, but not the fence wire.
I don't like grounded cold wires myself. I find more than enough broken wires from tree limbs, deer, etc. If a broken wire contacts a ground the shock goes to nill.

cmjust0":vmrbh2vz said:

5kv is adequate, just barely. Tall grass/weeds, a stray limb or just about anything else will suck that 5kv down pronto.

Bought the Gallagher M1800 , 18 joules 10kv. 5 - 8foot ground rods in moist clay.

Been nailed 3 times by it. Muscles involved seized up and sore for days afterwards.

I refuse to provide any further details!

:lol:

Going back to the original post I think his wife might have more to tell.
Fences don't usually do such damage and I wonder if she was meeting the boyfriend and covering her lateness?

Latest posts