brideling

Help Support CattleToday:

Apply steady pressure at the poll with either a halter or your hand. As soon as the horse lowers its head even a small amount, release the pressure. Repeat. When it consistantly will drop its head with the pressure ask for more by keeping the pressure on until it lowers the head more. Repetition with a quick release of the pressure at the slightest try should work.

Chris

Carlos D.":3slq1y6o said:
how do you teach a horse to put his head down when you put the bridle on???

carl

Add to what Chris said about poll pressure to lower the head, you can then add your thumb on the bars with some down pressure and this will entice the horse to open the mouth for acceptance of the bit as well as helping lower the head with the poll pressure.

I stand on the near side of the horse when I do this, right hand on the poll with the the top of the headstall in the right hand as well, and then the bits are resting on the finger tips of my left hand with my thumb inserted on the bar of the jaw. I push on the poll with my right hand and also press with my left thumb, as the jaw opens I pull the headstall up with my right hand and guide the bits between the teeth with my left fingers. Take the bridle off the exact same way.

Ray

sometimes, just rubbing the forehead can elicit a head drop....but the poll rubbing and pressure will do it every time. you can also pull down with the lead rope slightly and release as soon as the head starts to drop....also, rub in back of the ears....smile....(pleasure spot....) :)

Carlos D.":1d12nmms said:

carl

And, remember, a horse lowers its head to the ground in order to graze, so keep working with your horse until he lowers his head as far down as you would like.

Stand by your horse's shoulder and encourage your horse to both lower his head and flex his nose in toward his chest. If he is lowering his head and not flexing his nose, he isn't being submissive to you or focusing to you. Eventually, you want him to lower his head, flex his nose, and bend his neck toward you when you are standing at his shoulder. You can work on these steps one at a time, but do teach him to flex his head toward his chest as well as lowering his head. If you have one without the other you don't have a horse that's paying attention to you. Accomplishing all three steps makes it very, very easy to bridle a horse.

Be certain you give him a very quick release of pressure when pressing on his poll or when pressing on his face. Praise him in a soothing voice each time he gives to you. Our trainer friends taught us "Hair, Skin, Muscle, Bone." You only want to use as little pressure as is necessary to accomplish the training. Start with enough pressure for him to feel it on his hair, then if needed, press into the skin, then if needed, press into the muscle, and for the extremely stubborn, press as if you are pushing through the muscle into the bone.

And, teach voice commands while you are training your horse to lower his head. Our horses know "put your head down," as well as, "give me your head." Both commands come in handy for us.

[quote. Take the bridle off the exact same way.

Ray[/quote]

Thank you for that comment. I have seen many horses sour to unbridling because the owner pulled the headstall off and then almost jerked the bits out of their mouth with it.

I hired on as foreman with one outfitter in Arizona that had this problem so bad because of the wannabes he had been forced to hire that he had had to go to mechanical hackamores on all of his horse(40+). Both of us hated them but it was the way he had to go. His wife, him or myself were the only ones that were allowed to bit a horse. And that was only the ones we were riding. The two wranglers had to ride with hacks.Z

MillIronQH":88gf6jw8 said:
[quote. Take the bridle off the exact same way.

Ray

Thank you for that comment. I have seen many horses sour to unbridling because the owner pulled the headstall off and then almost jerked the bits out of their mouth with it.

I hired on as foreman with one outfitter in Arizona that had this problem so bad because of the wannabes he had been forced to hire that he had had to go to mechanical hackamores on all of his horse(40+). Both of us hated them but it was the way he had to go. His wife, him or myself were the only ones that were allowed to bit a horse. And that was only the ones we were riding. The two wranglers had to ride with hacks.Z[/quote]

That is why I do it. I never done outfitter work or rode up in the mountains but I would think while a hackamore can be easy to put on and simple to use, I sure would want a bit over that any day?

I hate the &%^&*^%*& things. Every one I've ever seen has had long shanks on them and the longer the shank the less lateral control you have. Also I've seen them break(especiallythe ones with the fleece covered noseband) when you real needed control. I ride both of my studs alot with a bosal but they are both finished bridle horses.Z

Cheat!! Handfull of something yummy with the bit in the hand also usually takes care of the problem...

MillIronQH":3acestoq said:
the longer the shank the less lateral control you have. Also I've seen them break(especiallythe ones with the fleece covered noseband) when you real needed control. I ride both of my studs alot with a bosal but they are both finished bridle horses.Z

That is a real good point, with a hack you really have no lateral control or flexion of the jaw and poll unless the horse is already well bridle trained like you are talkin with the bosal. And that means the bridle will most likely be needed anyways whenever you need to tune the horse up, at least that has been my experience.

Have you ever had any luck fixing toungue issues with a hack, I mean genetic chronic tongue probllems like horse that hangs the tongue out to the side? Just wondering, I never seen it fix too much.

peg4x4":3e2izicy said:
Cheat!! Handfull of something yummy with the bit in the hand also usually takes care of the problem...

A little molasses on the bit will sure get them used to taking a bit fast.....

hayray":20prv4lf said:
Carlos D.":20prv4lf said:

carl

Take the bridle off the exact same way.

Ray

Excellent point, hayray - exact being the keyword here. Too many times people allow the headstall to fall forward which can cause the bit to rotate, and cause the horse to throw his/her head up in response.

Latest posts