breeding soundness

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
i dont know how to best phrase the question, but what are the most common problems with heifers that wont breed? when a vet gives a breeding soundness exam and he/she says this heifer wont be able to breed, what are the most common reasons for the failure?

thanks

jt

dun":1gnrer24 said:
Immature repro tract, usually ovarys

dun

thanks

i have a coming 2 year old heifer that i suspect is open. i plan on palpating her in the next few days, and if open, i just wanted to kind of know what the vet would find (or not find) if she is unable to breed. i had suspected ovaries, or the lack of, to be a reason much of the time, but didnt know for sure.

either way, it is disappointing because she should be long bred by now, and she is one awfully fine looking brangus heifer. so good that i dont know whether to ship her or give a few more months if she is open. i figure to give her a little longer, but not much more.

thanks again,

jt

jt":38k1q4mu said:
dun":38k1q4mu said:
Immature repro tract, usually ovarys

dun

thanks

i have a coming 2 year old heifer that i suspect is open. i plan on palpating her in the next few days, and if open, i just wanted to kind of know what the vet would find (or not find) if she is unable to breed. i had suspected ovaries, or the lack of, to be a reason much of the time, but didnt know for sure.

either way, it is disappointing because she should be long bred by now, and she is one awfully fine looking brangus heifer. so good that i dont know whether to ship her or give a few more months if she is open. i figure to give her a little longer, but not much more.

thanks again,

jt

We bought a real nice heifer that had been forced into heat wit shots and was bred AI then run with a bull for a couple of months. She didn;t calf and had been suposedly palpated as having settled. She never had a heat cycle the year she was here. She only had one ovary and it was the size of a peanut, not in th shell, just the nut.
That's ojne of the reasons I'm leery of using hormones to indcue heats in heifers.

dun

i have never used hormones on any of my cows or heifers. this heifer is super nice and weighs about 1000. by this weekend, i am going to check her out.

jt

I'd ship her myself and as for the heifer with one ovary-she was probably born that way. It seems heifers you give chances to end up coming up empty again fairly soon.

Northern Rancher":1mnabe00 said:
I'd ship her myself and as for the heifer with one ovary-she was probably born that way. It seems heifers you give chances to end up coming up empty again fairly soon.

yep, i had just about decided to do that, and i wont argue that maybe i should, but it seems to me that i have little down side in her for the next few months. i have plenty grass and if she does breed, then she will be worth much more. if she doesnt, well, at least i gave her a chance at little to no extra cost at this point. of course all this talk is based on what i think after i palpate her.

jt

Well you could butcher her for yourself as a grassfat-get some tasty eats and take a first hand look at her repro tract and see what caused the problem.

Northern Rancher":30elfixf said:
Well you could butcher her for yourself as a grassfat-get some tasty eats and take a first hand look at her repro tract and see what caused the problem.

nah.. i will palpate her and check her out best i can that way. and i am not saying that anything is wrong, just she didnt breed with the rest of the heifers. she just might be a late breeder. :roll: she will definitely have to tighten up soon though.

if its not raining and i can get her up, i may just go ahead and
check her this evening. i am probably going to sell some calves this week and if the notion strikes me just right, she might get a bus ticket too. but i want to check her first.

jt

Latest posts