Breeding questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Cbeck01

Reaction score
So I'm new to farming simms. I grew up on a Hereford farm, but I'm definitely still learning. So as I said I have simms and I'm trying to figure out what to AI them to. I really like the look of simbrah, but I'm not sure of the benefits? Or if I should just use a sim bull and keep registered simms? Or use a Hereford bull and get baldies? As you can see I have quite the dilemma lol. I'm planning on just selling the bulls/steers at the market, but I want to end up with real docile heifers and cows on the farm. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your time

what are the pedigrees in your Simmentals? There are MANY great simmental bulls to use in AI, you just need a direction on where you want to take your herd.
Welcome to the breed, they are some of the best cattle we think! I can walk up to every one of our cows and heifers and scratch them, very docile!

Most are out of Nichols legacy line and cns dream on. I just bred a few to Nichols shannigan, I really liked the look of him

What are your goals?
Are you looking to expand your herd numbers by keeping replacement females?
Sounds like your males will all be terminals, so one big strike against breeding back to purebreds right off the bat.
F1 would seem to me the best way to go.
Which f1 female sells best in your location?
Is that also the f1 cross you would like to keep for your own herd?
Around here sim-angus cows are popular, so a high docility black angus bull would be on my list. (But not necessarily yours)

When I think of baldies, angus/hereford cows is what comes to mind.
I'd be interested in hearing what others think of simmi/herefords as f1 baldy cows.

Where are you from? If you are down by me adding some Brahma will help if you are from other places it could hurt.

Most of my herd is out of Nichols legacy, cns dream on and ameritrade.

I live in central/eastern Ohio.

Yea I want to expand my herd with females. I won't be keeping any males, as of right now.
What does f1 mean?
I want to stay black, but I like Hereford and love the look of simbrahs.

Thanks!

Simmi x hereford cows make great mommas; grew up with that cross. But you might end up with some reds with Dream On in the background (red carrier).

In our area right now, I'm a couple hours south of you, SimAngus are very popular & since you're already halfway there with your herd I'd look really hard at that cross if I were you. The OSU extension in Jackson OH runs a SimAngus herd & the agent is a very sharp & helpful fella, if you're at all interested in going that route you should give him a call.

As far as the Simbrah, I personally wouldn't go that route. You're losing some heterosis because you're breeding back to a percentage Sim & the ear will hurt you around here. Either Herf or Ang would be a much better option all the way around for what you're wanting to do than Simbrah.

Awesome thanks everyone! So I'm going to take simbrah off the list and look into crossing with Hereford or Angus. Now with the red gene in my herd from dream on and breading to a Hereford, the offspring from that cross would need to be bred back to something black or the new calf's would for sure be red?

Are there any benefits to going with Hereford vs Angus? I've never been around very many Angus.
Thanks again!

Cbeck01":3kulnoqf said:
Awesome thanks everyone! So I'm going to take simbrah off the list and look into crossing with Hereford or Angus. Now with the red gene in my herd from dream on and breading to a Hereford, the offspring from that cross would need to be bred back to something black or the new calf's would for sure be red?

Are there any benefits to going with Hereford vs Angus? I've never been around very many Angus.
Thanks again!
I would go Angus if you want to cross. Nothing better than a SimAngus cross for a momma cow. We have a bunch of them! The simangus animals are hot on the market, and I see no reason for them to lose popularity. I have lots of 50% and higher, and try to use only 3/4 to purebred bulls on them so I maintain at least 50% simmental in them.