Breeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

cah

Reaction score
Okay.. here is what is going on.... we have a three year old cow... she lost here first calve... it had to be pulled... second year... did not get bred... she was with a bull for over six mts. We took her to OSU and find out that she is only fertile on one side. She was a show heifer that my daughter showed and did very will with ... she is good that is the only reason we are trying to get a calve out of her. OSU AI'ed her on July 13th.
Last Sat Labor day weekend one of our cows was riding her. We had a ultrasound done on Tuesday and the vet says she is pregnant but the baby is small. This morning another cow was riding her.??? I am confused as to why so many cows are riding her. Any thoughts as to what is going on? Could she be losing the baby and coming into heat?? The two cows that were riding her have also been Ai'ED. Just searching for anwsers. The vet will be back in three weeks for another ultrasound

Thanks.

Wait for the next ultrasound. Some cows will ride when they are bred. Never seen a bred cow "stand" but others will still try to ride.

I had a pet heifer that was ridden all the time. I asked the vet what was up after he confirmed that she was bred - - and he said she was needy. ;-)

She did not bred back. I think she had one of those female hormone problems.

Steve....

Did she have the first calve okay? They are still riding this cow... this has been going on since last Thursday. I have a bad feeling about this. I know the vet confirmed she IS preg but he also said the baby is smaller than what she should be for eight weeks along. he said it's more like six weeks. SO with that said... I wonder if she is aborting or what is going on...

Thanks

Is she standing to be ridden or are the mounting (trying to mount) and trys to get away form them? Could possibly just a dominance thing going on, hormone change from being bred, etc.

Dun..

She is standing... she don't try to get away and yesterday the one that kept mounting would sniff up like she was in heat before mounting.... Ugh.... I hope I am wrong but she sure acts like she is in heat! Have you ever heard or seen one act like this? :help: it's so confusing... I know we'll know for sure in three weeks.

cah":3uey8mb4 said:
Dun..

She is standing... she don't try to get away and yesterday the one that kept mounting would sniff up like she was in heat before mounting.... Ugh.... I hope I am wrong but she sure acts like she is in heat! Have you ever heard or seen one act like this? :help: it's so confusing... I know we'll know for sure in three weeks.
She's open.

Why you keeping this POS animal around?

Sell it or eat it and buy something that works

Your comment about "she is good" is wrong. If she was she would have given you two calve and be bred by now.

Lots of fine "push button" animals out there that show, breed back and make you famous.

You are perpetuating junk.

See it all the time.

Cheers

Bez+

I just want to add that even if she only has one working ovary she still should breed every time and produce a calf. I have a very good Holstein Flush cow with only one ovary. She is no good for flushing for that reason, she only will give 4-5 eggs when super ovulated and flushed, which is not economical. So we breed her and let her raise her calf as well as others. She breeds on first straw every time and gives us a calf every year.

Sometimes you have to cut your losses I say wait until the next ultrasound and if she did slip the calf ,she needs to hit the road. A cow that cannot produce a calf needs to go into the food chain..

Show heifers seldom make it in a production cattle operation where there is no bucket. Sell her for meat as you really dont need those genetics in a production herd

cah":1esrout7 said:
She was a show heifer that my daughter showed and did very will with ... she is good that is the only reason we are trying to get a calve out of her.

I don't care how good she is, if she does not settle in a 2 month time frame she grows wheels.

Latest posts