breeding problem

Help Support CattleToday:

cah

Reaction score
Here is the problem. We had a heifer last year that the vet had to induce labor because he thought the calve was getting too large... well it turned out we lost the calve and the heifer was fine. She had a problem with the placenta being retained for a while and we had to have her cleaned out. Now.. we have her turned out with the bull since June. We seen her in heat and he chased her back in June.. left her alone... NOW all of a sudden she is back in heat. We assumed he had got her. Is it possible that she did not take and JUST now came back in heat....? I am afraid that something could be messed up internal from the loss of the calve back in Feb. IT was a hard birth and he had to pull quite a while. Should we call the vet to check this out or wait it out another three weeks and see what happens? We are so new to the whole breeding thing. What are the chances of her being bred again? Can the vet tell if something is damaged up in the vaginal area? Just hoping things are okay this is one of our best heifers.

Your fear of something being messed up internally is justified. Uterine scarring commonly occurs among heifers that have birthing difficulties. The scarring prevents embryo attachment and is untreatable. If your heifer was mine, I wouldn't call the vet. She'd be on the next load to the sale. But, you should call the vet if it'll make you feel better.

since she was with the bull an came into heat twice.i think id catch her an have the vet palpate her an see if she is breedable.

She could have just lost an early pregnancy... or she could just have scarring and be a hard breeder. If your vet is good enough, have her checked out and then you'll at least have enough information to make a decision. Right now it's all up in the air.

If she does have scarring, I wouldn't write her off completely... I've seen about half a dozen cows with uterine adhesions or scarring breed back and calve again. Some do, some don't. Usually takes a little longer for them to settle than for cows that are normal.

Latest posts