Breeding Post Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
I screwed up and didnt pay close attention to detail when I bought a cow/calf pair in Dec.

Owner said cow calved on September 5th, and was bred on September 28th. I didnt look that close at the dates and just took his word for it she was bred, they never had the cow preg checked. She was in standing heat the week after I brought her home.

Is it physically possible for a cow to concieve that soon after calving? I always thought it was a good idea to give her 45 days.

lukem86":xtb5hh0g said:
I screwed up and didnt pay close attention to detail when I bought a cow/calf pair in Dec.

Owner said cow calved on September 5th, and was bred on September 28th. I didnt look that close at the dates and just took his word for it she was bred, they never had the cow preg checked. She was in standing heat the week after I brought her home.

Is it physically possible for a cow to concieve that soon after calving? I always thought it was a good idea to give her 45 days.

It is and we have had it happen. Usually happens on really good green grass. It isn't very common. 45 days is best. Gives the cow a chance to clean herself up, and lessens the chance of her losing the first calf and taking even longer to breed back.

Latest posts