Breeding my Baldie Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
So many choices to make.....I would rather not AI but ......can y'all comment on this AI Bull? The folks at ABS introduced me to my rep who was kind enough to recommend a tech that could do the " work". This was one of 3 hd suggested. I like the way he looks!

A "black Hereford" doesn't exist on our planet....;)......but seriously I'm really goinv for some calves on the ground(I've only got 3 swings with this group!) coupled with a color I know I can maximize my ROI. What I would like to do but not really ready with my pastures and gates is buy a virgin Hereford heifer Bull ( with a capital B!) from Dudley Bros , a local Hereford producer, that I know would forage good and put some meat on these Baldies and damn the color!

Kingfisher":323kb3pg said:
A "black Hereford" doesn't exist on our planet....;)......but seriously I'm really goinv for some calves on the ground(I've only got 3 swings with this group!) coupled with a color I know I can maximize my ROI. What I would like to do but not really ready with my pastures and gates is buy a virgin Hereford heifer Bull ( with a capital B!) from Dudley Bros , a local Hereford producer, that I know would forage good and put some meat on these Baldies and be nice the color!

I am not an AI user, however it seems to me that everyone I know of who uses AI also has a cleanup bull to catch the ones that don't take - or you repeat and repeat until you have a really strung out calving season.

If you have a good local Hereford breeder nearby, why not do what you really want to do: buy a virgin Hereford bull unload him into the pasture with the girls on your bull in date, leave him there until weaning time and ask Dudley for help finding a buyer in the fall? I bet they'd help you do that. Or by fall have a fence up and leave your bull and a steer in a separate pasture over the winter until next summer bull in date. It doesn't take a whole lot of facilities to over winter a bull and a steer together.

And "be nice the color". Life is too short and cattle cycles too long to not do what you believe in and really want to do. jmho. Good luck.

Jim

And "be nice the color". Life is too short and cattle cycles too long to not do what you believe in and really want to do. Thanks for your response. It means alot to me. Often responses to my posts are few and far between at times. It sure is a process breeding a cow that time lends to....

If you work with Dudley to get a Hereford bull with an especially good disposition they really are not much trouble. My Huth bulls have been very mellow. Not pets but not tearing things up and they defer to me. Over wintering with a steer helps. I have been putting my lightest, usually last born steer in with my bull over the winter and it helps both of them. And when it comes time, he is much better at cow heat detection than I am and doesn't need a degree in chemistry to do it. ;)

Regards -

Jim

Kingfisher":2hl4lwtw said:
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus.asp?CodTouro=29AN1779

Kingfisher,I have a 18 month old balancer bull out of him that I raised. Nice bull he weighed 62 lbs. when he was born. Gentle as a heel hound.

Decent bull but would prefer to have better carcass numbers and disposition numbers. Definately a bull I'd consider though.

aprille218":140gqg96 said:
Decent bull but would prefer to have better carcass numbers and disposition numbers. Definately a bull I'd consider though.
Thanks for your reply. I have not bought" him yet so I can surely go a different way. I finally so my oldest Heifer come into heat the other day and signs that the younger two had road her. Her hair was pretted matted down on her hips so I suppose that was what was going on. They are maturing for sure so I'm exited about that. I did look closer at Front Man other EPD and I hear what your saying. I also saw another picture of him and wasn't as pleased. I'm of the opinion that " if it looks good it's all good". I know that's a weak way to pick a Bull.....but I'm not real keen on them black ones as it is. Like I said...surely a lot of choices. Have you got one or two you like?

My thought on the bull is that he looks real good, and now that the sales books have started rolling in alot of people are using him, but his #'s seem disappointing. I'd be thrilled to own him but if I'm going to AI I'd rather go for more of a homerun bull

My thought on the bull is that he looks real good, and now that the sales books have started rolling in alot of people are using him, but his #'s seem disappointing. I'd be thrilled to own him but if I'm going to AI I'd rather go for more of a homerun bull

KF, don't want to get in a color war. If you have black baldie heifers and a herford bull, you're gonna' throw some redneck calves as well as baldies. Check around and see if the rednecks sell as well as the blacks. If they do and you want a herford bull, I'd go for it. If the redneck cows or calves are a discount, rethink your plan.
The black vs red thing is here, you can bitch and moan about color all day, but like many of us, you can't change it. Does your pocketbook no good to say, "They stole my redneck heifers, they were just as good as the black ones." Maybe someday it will change, but for now that's the way it is. gs

plumber_greg":137vkh0g said:
KF, don't want to get in a color war. If you have black baldie heifers and a herford bull, you're gonna' throw some redneck calves as well as baldies. Check around and see if the rednecks sell as well as the blacks. If they do and you want a herford bull, I'd go for it. If the redneck cows or calves are a discount, rethink your plan.
The black vs red thing is here, you can be nice and moan about color all day, but like many of us, you can't change it. Does your pocketbook no good to say, "They stole my redneck heifers, they were just as good as the black ones." Maybe someday it will change, but for now that's the way it is. gs

I agree with everything you say if your talking about thirty head but with just three your not talking about enough dollars to matter. If Hereford makes you happy that's what id use.

salebarn junkie":2q8arz4z said:
plumber_greg":2q8arz4z said:
The black vs red thing is here, you can be nice and moan about color all day, but like many of us, you can't change it. Does your pocketbook no good to say, "They stole my redneck heifers, they were just as good as the black ones." Maybe someday it will change, but for now that's the way it is. gs

I agree with everything you say if your talking about thirty head but with just three your not talking about enough dollars to matter. If Hereford makes you happy that's what id use.
Now that's a great point you make. It's not like I have 30. Seeing as I would either eat or retain the calves at that point what's it really matter what color they are.

If you're retaining calves, it matters if you decide to sell a few cows later on. Eat the red ones, retain the black ones. Costs just as much to get a black one to 10 years as a red one, and if they sell as breds, the black is worth more at selling. I didn't realize we were talking about 3 head, I would definatly go with a herford bull, the disposition is just so much better than others. Should be able to leave him in year around, and cause no trouble. gs

Latest posts