breeding heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

vance

Reaction score
does anyone have success stories of breeding a simmental bull to angus heifers? i have a black sim w/blazed face.i want to keep the blazed face going but am concerned with the calves being to big for 1st timers.thanks in advance.

vance":3ddu1wbi said:
does anyone have success stories of breeding a simmental bull to angus heifers? i have a black sim w/blazed face.i want to keep the blazed face going but am concerned with the calves being to big for 1st timers.thanks in advance.

You left out a whole lot of info here about the bull you are wanting to use.
Second calving first time heifers is always a crap shoot.

Vance,

Do you know the bulls birth weight?

Is he big in the shoulders and head?

Do you have any EPD info on him?

What age and size are the heifers that you would breed him to?

I, personally, wouldn't use him unless you could answer all the above questions.

cypressfarms":1jgjj3z3 said:
Vance,

Do you know the bulls birth weight?

Is he big in the shoulders and head?

Do you have any EPD info on him?

What age and size are the heifers that you would breed him to?

I, personally, wouldn't use him unless you could answer all the above questions.
--
i do not have that imformation a rancher who sold out had an auction i bought him at 1 year old his parents were both registered he does not have a huge head or shoulders yet but-he is just 20 months old. my 1st cow to have his calf is due in march these heifers will not be ready untill next july -that will make them 1 1/2 yrs old approx.

vance":25djfxzf said:
i do not have that imformation a rancher who sold out had an auction i bought him at 1 year old his parents were both registered he does not have a huge head or shoulders yet but-he is just 20 months old. my 1st cow to have his calf is due in march these heifers will not be ready untill next july -that will make them 1 1/2 yrs old approx.

Do you mean the heifers won;t be ready till breed till July or they won;t calve until then?
If they won;t be bred till then, you'll have to cows calving in March to make a determinatin on if you feel he is suitable to breed to heifers.

dun

dun":22wrnb0q said:
vance":22wrnb0q said:

Do you mean the heifers won;t be ready till breed till July or they won;t calve until then?
If they won;t be bred till then, you'll have to cows calving in March to make a determinatin on if you feel he is suitable to breed to heifers.

dun
they(heifers) wont be ready to be bred until july 07---my neighbor has a smaller angus bull i can use for their 1st time if i need to - i was just looking to here comments by some of you all who have been there done that---im just building my herd i started w/ 6 head ill be takeing 20 total calves,cows and the bull through this winter

vance":31hudek5 said:
they(heifers) wont be ready to be bred until july 07---my neighbor has a smaller angus bull i can use for their 1st time if i need to - i was just looking to here comments by some of you all who have been there done that---im just building my herd i started w/ 6 head ill be takeing 20 total calves,cows and the bull through this winter

Even with dead bang certain calving ease bulls that we haven't used, we first use them on cows that we know what to expect from. That way we can be more at ease in our minds that under our conditions with our genetics and managment what size of calves to pretty much expect.
Just because you're paranoid doesn;t mean someone may not be out to get you.

dun

With first calf heifers, I would not use a simmental bull. I would use the black angus if he is the smaller calving type and not the newer larger calving type of bull. The angus calves will sell very well and you wont have a problem unless the bull is the newer type. If you want to make sure you get the least chance of a calving problem, breed them to a longhorn bull. Calves will be worth alot less, but the calf will be small and lively when born.

vance":20s806zc said:

How big was the bull when he was born? Has he been used on any of your cows, and if so, how big were the calves?

Angus is my preferred breed for first timers.

If he is a registered bull then you can look up his epd's on the Simmental website and see what you are working with. If he has a 10 or better CE epd I would not worry about breeding him to heifers. We breed our Simmental heifers to known calving ease Simmental bulls and do not have problems. But, our heifers are in good shape are were given a chance to grow and delevop. If you do not get those heifers developed then it doesn't really matter what bull you use, you will have problems (IMO).

Matt

I wouldn't do it. My opinion is that if you are breeding two different breeds then for the first calf the bull should be the smaller breed and have great calving ease EPD's as well as a low birth weight. Sometimes what you are talking about doing works but more often you will be pulling a lot of calves which is the last thing you want for your heifers- better if they can do it naturally and learn it right the first time, then you might have calves that are too big on those girls. That will just inhibit their growth and isn't worth it in the long run.

Latest posts