breeding heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Sarria

Reaction score
Hi all I was wondering I have 16 month old shorthorn heifer that was born 0n 4/9/05 is she to young to breed?? If not what breed should one breed to?

nope not to young to breed. Usually breed beef cattle to calve as 2yr olds so that would be 15 months of age she is ready to go assuming that she has grown out properly. She should weigh around 65-70% of her expected mature weight as a minimum. As far as to what to breed her to? That is totally up to you and what you want, but her being a heifer i would choose a relatively low birth weight calving ease bull.
I would stay away from Charolais, Limousin, and a few others for calving ease reasons on a heifer.

Yes, good info from above. Easy calving Angus bull will work good. :)

mnmt

:) Thanks for your replies every one, I don't have a bull I only have 2 cows and two heifers so I been inseminating for now, I been told not to get a bull that it would not be wroth it for my small herd till I get up to 8 cows or so.

M.Sarria":r04d6g5c said:
:) Thanks for your replies every one, I don't have a bull I only have 2 cows and two heifers so I been inseminating for now, I been told not to get a bull that it would not be wroth it for my small herd till I get up to 8 cows or so.

You can bring your girl over here and let Admiral have a go at her.

P6250011.JPG

Of course, at 16 months he is not a proven producer yet, (but the price is right).

PM me if you are interested.

16 months isn't too young but with my heifers I prefer to wait until they are about 20 months, aiming for calving at 2 and a half to 3 years. JMO.
Oh, and I think you should use an easy calving shorthorn bull :p