Breeding heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Big D

Reaction score
I am looking for any input on this idea.
With the price of replacement heifers, it is logical that we must do what ever we can to get these girls rebred. My idea is to breed these girls to calve in late spring of 06 and then delay rebreeding them so they will have their second calf in the fall of 07. This would fit my plan to increase my fall calving herd. I figure by doing this, I could wean the calves before rebreeding the cows and therefore increase our rebreeding rate. The only drawback I can find is that they will be eating for a few months without a calf sucking or one in the oven. Have any of you been practicing this? Any and all comments welcome.

If you want them in the fall calving herd, why not wait the first time to breed them so that they fall into that time frame. You'ld still be feeding them while they weren't paying for themsleves, but they would be continuing to grow during that time frame without needing a higher level of nutrition to be feeding a growing then nursing calf and getting back into better condition after weaning.

dun

if you want them in the fall that would be great. why not breed everything for spring & ones that don't breed back on time you can hold for your fall herd. in my experience calves never grow as good in the winter. i never creep feed though

dun, the reason I want to breed them now is the fact that I could have a calf 6 month sooner, a little income from them. The reason I thought I would wait to rebreed is; 1 been reading and listening about the need to breed hfrs earlier than the rest of the herd, problem with that is I do not want to be calving hfrs in january or febuary. 2 I like the idea of increasing the fall herd and seems like it is hard to buy local cattle for fall calving. Usally they are just some ones culls. 3 the hfrs will calve as 2 yr olds.

Jerry, I originally planned on breeding them now an as you say to move anything that does not breed back into the fall herd. And that is probably what I will do. As far as calves growing in the winter, we usually run our fall herd on dormant alfalfa, then move to wheat pasture. Those calves out perform anything, the cows come off great too. I really like doing that with an old thin cow I am going to cull. At weaning the old cow is fat and ready for the sale.

Thanks to both of you, I know it is just a decision I have to make. I was just looking for an experienced person's point of view. I have been in the feedlot side of things for my entire life, just started the cow herd three yrs ago. This will be my first run with a large group of hfrs.

Big D":18lv3m99 said:
dun, the reason I want to breed them now is the fact that I could have a calf 6 month sooner, a little income from them. The reason I thought I would wait to rebreed is; 1 been reading and listening about the need to breed hfrs earlier than the rest of the herd, problem with that is I do not want to be calving hfrs in january or febuary. 2 I like the idea of increasing the fall herd and seems like it is hard to buy local cattle for fall calving. Usally they are just some ones culls. 3 the hfrs will calve as 2 yr olds.

The dollars sooner makes sense. We tend towards, if the don;t breed back on time, they grow wheels. My reasoning is that selecting for fertility and quick rebreeding will select for more productive cows.
It's interesting that you can;t find quality heifers or cows for a fall breeding program. It seems like most of the cows/heifers that I like at the sales are bred for fall calving or were calved in the fall. If we would hold them over to calf on our schedule, they'ld probably get too fat since everything seems to get fat around here unless they're feeding a calf.

dun

I have not taken time to figure out this quote business yet so bare with me.
This is why I am somewhat torn as what to do. I would like to breed the hfrs sooner to get some income off of them. At the same time I want to cull anything with fertility issues.

As far as finding quality hfrs, that is not really the problem. I have been getting my feet wet with my current herd. Started out with a bunch of broken mouth p2's. Most of these cows have been great for me. Really great when you figure I only paid $550 per head. Most of the culls have given me at least two calves and then brought $750 when I have thought they were to old to go on. The calves have always topped the market. My problem is sticker shock, for the older cows that is. The same quality this year cost $950 per head. As far as the hfrs go, I just now finished building my facilities to handle the number I want to handle. So I am just starting my hfr program. If everything goes well, my goal is to calve out 200 hfrs per year. So you can imagine the kind of thinking I have been doing. Consider this, I have been running my small feedlot, which means my experience with bred hfrs is not been very positive. To say the least, I have been cautious at getting started with hfrs. I have had a few this year and really had'nt had any problems.

Back to the price of cows. I just hate to build a herd too much and then have the price of both killer cows and calves give me a blow, My idea is to buy light hfrs, background them then breed them. Seems to me the best way to build up the herd right now.
Anyway thanks for the input!!!

Latest posts