breeding cycle

Help Support CattleToday:

DPANTOJA

Reaction score
Can someone let me know if I have this right? A cow goes into heat every 21 day give or take. She has her calf in 9 month and she is ready to be breed again on the 12 month. Now during this time she is giving milk to her calf for how long? Does she stop giving milk to her calf as soon as she gets pregnant again? How many months is a good time to stop the calf from feeding of the mother?

If you don't wean the calf before she has the next calf, she won't ever dry up, just continue to milk. Some breeds (Brahman) will wean their own calves when they're close to having the next, thus avoiding having a new calf, and last years nursing together!

You can wean the calf at whatever time works for you.. depending on what you're going to do with the calf. If it's a terminal calf, and it's going to the auction barn, wean the calf based on the cow's condition and prices at the barn. If you're keeping it for a replacement, a lot of producers like the cow to nurse the calf for a longer period of time, because generally the calf does better the longer he's on the cow.

We wean terminal calves at 5 or 6 months. If the cow was late getting bred back, we have left the calf nurse for up to 7 months.

Yes, you pretty much have it right. Although the cow can breed back at 45 days (sometimes less). She will milk as long as there is a calf sucking her or someone milking her, however, she will give less and less milk as time goes on. Most people wean the calves between 5-8 months of age. Although you can wean earlier or later depending on your program.

DPANTOJA":b6zafovq said:
Can someone let me know if I have this right? A cow goes into heat every 21 day give or take. She has her calf in 9 month and she is ready to be breed again on the 12 month. Now during this time she is giving milk to her calf for how long? Does she stop giving milk to her calf as soon as she gets pregnant again? How many months is a good time to stop the calf from feeding of the mother?

You are close but most of it is rule of thumb and mother nature has her say in it. For instance, one of my cows has a calf every 11 months or so.

A given few cows will wean off the calves on their own naturally. Most folks separate them. Thoughts on when its best to do this varies with breeders but the rule of thumb now is 5 to 6 months. Some wean in accordance to the almanac. Others don't use an almanac even for their gardens.

You also have differences in breeds, climates, feed and everything else that affects cattle.

What works best for me may not even be close for you.

For the ?? on breeding again, I understand the norm is for the cow to start her cycle again in the 45 day range (after giving birth) +/- a few days

C HOLLAND":2uyr8tsq said:
For the ?? on breeding again, I understand the norm is for the cow to start her cycle again in the 45 day range (after giving birth) +/- a few days

Depends on the cow and whether she had any complications before, at, or following calving. I've seen them breed back 7-10 days after calving. Yes, you read that right. Not just cycle 7-10 days after calving, but also settle on that cycle.

I think the norm would be the 45 day range.

Latest posts