Breeding cows after long rest

Help Support CattleToday:

TomA

Reaction score
I have 4 registered Shorthorn cows, 3 are 10 years old and 1 is 7 years old. They have all had calves in the past. They have not been bred for several years. It started with a bull who did not do his job. Then came the drought and we did not breed because we did not have enough feed. Last year we leased a bull for a few months. One cow seemed to exhibit signs of reoccuring estrus, later the neighbors 2 black angus bulls came over for a while. One cow was seen being mounted by one of these bulls. It is time now that they should be showing if they are bred. I have been told they are too fat. They are fed oat hay twice a day and a little alfalfa. They are rotated on 40 acres of dry pasture. I would not call them fat but they are not thin. I have also been told when cows have not been bred for a period of time they will become barren. They are beautiful cows and I hate to sell them for beef. Any ideas on how I can get them in calf.

Thanks,
Tom

You could have a vet ultrasound them. Often times they can tell you if the cows have been cycling or are barren.

Latest posts