Breeding count/heat

Help Support CattleToday:

No way of telling. Some will do it once others will do it as often as they can get close

My RA bull prefers it when they have their head in a hay ring. Then he can bred them every 15 minutes or so without wasting any steps. I never had enough time to sit there and to a total count. Double digits for sure. :cowboy:

Last few bulls we've had will just do it once and then totally lose interest in the cow... others, the SH and Angus.. they'd pester the cow forever.
I prefer the first style.. they both get back to eating sooner

I wonder how many cows end up late due to a bull diddling around over one cow too long? Say two or three in at once, him loved up to one?
Dad told of a bull he had. Hit it and quit it, one time, and over it.

talltimber":2ih3fapu said:
I wonder how many cows end up late due to a bull diddling around over one cow too long? Say two or three in at once, him loved up to one?
Dad told of a bull he had. Hit it and quit it, one time, and over it.
Our old bull a few years ago was like that. He would breed then go lay under a tree for a while. Get up and go check everyone again then go lay under his tree. Did that all day long
Had one bull that didn;t hardly have to cover any ground. He would lay down with all the calves around him. Whenever a cow came back to feed her calf he would check them then lay back down if there wasn;t any action

wbvs58":2zwslf4c said:
I think a lot happens at night.

Ken

The young bull I lost back in the early summer was that way. Never did see him breed a one. Saw him herding them, but not covering.

On a related note?: I have had a first breeding heifer looking like she had been bred yesterday, tail out, bed head hair. Today she is walking and bawling her head off. Bawling every other breath when she does it. I "handbred" a two yr old to the old bull in the lot yesterday, she aint made a peep today. Could I be having some yearling bull trouble by the yearling heifer still doing all this bawling and acting up/showing bred for two days now?? He tries to mount her but she moves off, still bawling. I've not seen anything like it. This is my first set of heifers I've kept and bred myself. I wonder if it's a heifer thing?

We had a reg red poll that was as gentle as they come. NEVER saw him breed a cow, but he was the most fertile bull we have ever had. If we had any that were problem breeders, we put them in Bubba's pasture. No joke. He'd have 99% every preg check and if he didn't settle them they left. Had him til he was 12 and his arthritis made getting up painful, so we refused to make him suffer through another winter. Cried some pretty big tears when he went. Most of our bulls will breed once then check out the other cows, maybe come back for a second time. Had one bull that would worry them to death and several cows would finally lay down to get him to stop. Sent him down the road, it was just too hard on the cows.

Latest posts