Breeding chutes

Help Support CattleToday:

wisjock

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for a working chute for breeding/vaccinating...

I have heard of these dark box chutes that are used for breeding cows. Who has used/seen them and are they any good? I am looking at a tub/alley/chute system also and wondering which ones are built the best.

Thanks

We just use a curved chute made out of plank. I have onlyused a dark box when I took the AI class. Our cattle are all pretty quiet but, if you had wilder/more excitable cattle it would probably be the way to go.

I used a box at a friends place. He just made a frame out of tubing and fastened plywood to it and hung a peice of tarp from the ceiling to block their view back over their hip. He had a heavy chain with a hook that he pulled behind them. It worked well. I just use my working chute. Sometimes I catch heads and some stand better with just a bar behind them. I like to have the front of the chute slightly elevated to help keep the tract easier to reach.

good luck

Never used one of the dark boxes. Bred them in chutes, alleyways, pinched behind a gate, a string of headlock stanchions and one tied to a tree. The stanchions didn;t work too well because they can move from side to side a whole lot faster then I can run when I'm arm is in them, the tree was even worse.

dun

dun":1rx6xcis said:
Never used one of the dark boxes. Bred them in chutes, alleyways, pinched behind a gate, a string of headlock stanchions and one tied to a tree. The stanchions didn;t work too well because they can move from side to side a whole lot faster then I can run when I'm arm is in them, the tree was even worse.

dun

I bet all of those are in Dun's book of "lessons learned the hardway". :D

If you only have a few or working by yourself then just a shoot is fine. If you have quite a few or two people I would use a box. you can have someone loading the box your not using if set up for 2 cows or even buy your self two at a time then stopping to reload really speeds things up. If you have a tech coming out or a bunch at a time I seen one setup one time that was really nice it held 8 head with a spring loaded one piece front door. You went through the eight opened the door then ran 8 more in. It was nice but not for your adverage producer.

Latest posts