Breeding back

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
How long after a cow calves to you give her to breed back before you cull her? I have a few that calved The first week of Jan that wasn't breed when the vet checked them on Monday would u cull or give her more time? These or the cows second calves.

Depends. When was the bull in and for how long? If they are getting the nutrition needed and holding decent condition with calves in, but haven't bred back after 120 days post calving with bull exposure, get rid of them. If they aren't getting the nutrition they need for some reason, they're going to take longer to breed back

There in pretty good shape there not as fat as some of the others it seems like the ones that wasn't breed where the one that wasn't holding up as good. They been eating good second cutting hay and I have been feeding them grind ear corn and soybean mill about 6 lbs once a day per cow

Just off what you're saying they arent pulling their weight and they need to go.
On edit: thinking on it a bit, how good is your vet too? Can you pull a blood sample on the opens and send it to Biopryn to verify they're open?

The second and third calves are the toughest for cows to get bred back with. Heifers are still growing and it's tough for them to hold body condition. The 3 yo cows have a tough time because they are losing their baby teeth and also have trouble holding condition. I will give a second chance on 2 year olds but not 3.

I feel like I have a good vet very confident in his skills. I guess they could be breed for a short time maybe 30 days or so he didn't ultra sound them just palpation checked.

Ideally they will start coming into heat around 30 days post calving. Just to be generous I would give them 45 days then start counting 45 days from that point as being the latest bred date. That would give them 45 days to get back into cycling normally and a 45 day breeding season (2 heat cycles)

for the last 2yrs weve been keeping the cows on high quality minerals and salt along with protine tubs during the winter.and our cows all calved in bunches.they are also coming in heat 2 or 3 at a time.as for your open cows id look at your minerals and maybe put out protine tubs during winter.

if they are getting grain & second cutting hay, they are definitely not great breeders. mine never get anything but grass or hay. if they don't breed on that they are gone

If there are no health issue then it is usually hard milking cows and growing young cows not coming in heat. In other words we cull a higher precentage of our best genetics as non breeders. The major solution is better nutrition for these animals and these are the animals that will pay you back. Evaluate their calve in relation to their body weight to. Mel