breeding Back

Help Support CattleToday:

Triple L

Reaction score
Well, I just really getting started with a cow/calf operation. i have a couple of short horns that calved in June. After doing some research I see some folks say to breed back around 60 to 90 days. I would like to know what you thoughts on this is. Here in Mid-MO I think May/june calfs will not be a problem.

thanks for your time.
Sam

that calving time is a little late for me. summer coming on the heat the flies are worse during that time just when the calves are starting too demand more from moma shes going through summer slump. but don't know much about your area but it cant be that much a difference.

I like May calves better than June so I would turn the bull in now and back them up to early May. Calves born in the summer just don't seem to do as well .

I have to agree with alacowman. We're in Central Mo and we like to calve from Feb 15 through May 15. Winter is generally about over by then and it is much easier on the bulls getting the cows bred back from May through July than July and August. Less trouble with flys and such early in the spring. Plus about the time that the calves really start pulling down on the cows, the grass is greening up and providing lots of protein. Then by the time the summer slump comes along, the calves are at least started on creep.

This is what works for us. We had been calving up until the end of May, but the last couple of years we've been backing it up about a week each year so that we start a little earlier. I'm probably gonna take some flack on the creep feeding, but with the price of corn and calves, it pencil's out for us.

A little earlier calving, if it fits into your other commitments, would probably be better. But, moving a cow ahead is a little harder then you would think it is. It can be done, but onl in small increments. Might want to consider fall calving as an option. Or just gradually move the girls forward until it fits what you want. The heat, while not extreme to some, can cause fertility problems in both cows and bulls. Generally getting a cow to settle in July and August is pretty much a hit or miss deal around here.

dun

Triple L":1zah96ie said:
Well, I just really getting started with a cow/calf operation. i have a couple of short horns that calved in June. After doing some research I see some folks say to breed back around 60 to 90 days. I would like to know what you thoughts on this is. Here in Mid-MO I think May/june calfs will not be a problem.

thanks for your time.
Sam
Well, I am preferring never to get any calf born on my place after May. June July or August calves, I never breed for those months. To darn hot. Anyway, I would breed for more Spring calvers, like anything from January through May and then if you want a Fall program, I would breed for the September and October months. This is only my opinion. :cboy:

There's an old saying that goes do not breed to calve in monthes that do not have an R in them. Don't know if there is any truth to it.

Angus Guy":9txz59sw said:
There's an old saying that goes do not breed to calve in monthes that do not have an R in them. Don't know if there is any truth to it.
Never heard of that before. Must be another wise tail, bt if you think about it, JanuaRy, FebRuaRy, MaRch, ApRil, SeptembeR, OctobeR, NovembeR, and DecembeR all have R in them. So that leaves May through August and thats it. Wouldn't go by this theory. My opinion you have yours. Take care. :cboy:

Triple L":3n54ecx3 said:

thanks for your time.
Sam

Too late for me. The heat, bugs, flies, etc. take too much of a toll on both the cows and calves. One calf gets sick and the rest of them will probably get it, too. Turn the bull out now and your calving dates for these girls are moved back to April or May. Do it again next year and they move back another month or two, depending on when the girls calve and settle.

Latest posts