breeding after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

david922

Reaction score
How long after calving do you breed back the mother cow(I guess they are mother cows now that they have a calf)? At what weight an or age do you wean a calf? I don`t want to over work the grils.I`m not in it to make money,if I can break even I`m OK.They do keep the place clean,and I don`t have to mow any more. Thanks Rochelle Georgia. :banana: :banana: :banana:

80 days after calving will make them right on 12 months between calves and that's what most people strive for. The traditional weaning age is 205 days plus or minus a couple days

As Dun says 80 days will give you a calf at the same time next year but most CAN be bred starting about 60 days after calving.

Another way to look at it is what date next year do you want to calve? Here is a gestation chart which shows you what date to put the bull in for what calving date you want. The chart is for Herefords but close for other breeds.

http://www.hereford.org/node/316

There is a lot of logic to aiming for a calving date about 30 days ahead of your pasture "green up" or turn out date.

Good luck.

Jim

Latest posts