Breeding after calving a bull and heifer calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Debby

Reaction score
if you had a bull & heifer calf twins, the heifer calf will not take when she's bred. My friend recently purchased a bred Angus she just had twins, someone told her that this is true. Personally, I think it's hogwash but I don't own cattle.
New to this forum. I would like to own a few cattle someday, I am also a 4-H Coordinator, so this forum will answer many questions for me. Thank you. Debby

It's true. Depending on what article you read on the topic, I've seen percentages anywhere from 90 to 99% of all heifer calves born twin to a bull are sterile. They're called "freemartins". I have one set of twins like that in my pasture, and they're both headed for the freezer. :)

It is true. As milkmaid stated, the heifer from the bull/heifer twin set is known as a freemartin. They will not breed as they are infertile/sterile. If both twins are heifers then they are fine, as that is what I have always been told by older cattlemen. Never had a set of twins born to any of my cows but I tried to buy a SimmAngus heifer a few weeks ago that had a set of heifer twins. The gentleman priced her to me but then backed out on letting me have them. No hogwash on them not breeding. Eatem' or movem'!

Not true. I agree that there is a much greater chance of the twin heifer being a freemartin. However, I had a neighbor that ran his supposedly freemartin heifer with his cows and bull with the intentions of putting her in the freezer. We preg checked a few months and later and she was bred. She has bred back every year now and I believe she is 5 years old now.

I've read in various places that the percentage of freemartins is 90% to 98%. Depends on what data you're looking at at the time.

dun

novaman":2hl0e17g said:
Not true. I agree that there is a much greater chance of the twin heifer being a freemartin. However, I had a neighbor that ran his supposedly freemartin heifer with his cows and bull with the intentions of putting her in the freezer. We preg checked a few months and later and she was bred. She has bred back every year now and I believe she is 5 years old now.

I agree that there are always exceptions to anything. But most often they will not breed.

Latest posts