Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
Ive read on both Camp Cooley Ranch and Cow Creek Ranch websites how they are ranked as seedstock operations. Cow Creek Ranch Brangus is ranked 20th largest in the nation for seedstock. I think Camp Cooley is up there to along with Express Ranch. Does anyone know the list or where on the internet I can find the list. I found an old one from back in 1998 put out by Virginia Tech. I want to see an up to date one or know who is the the top 20 or so in Seedstock and Commericial. I think its put out by the Beef Improvement Federation. Thanks

Heres the link to the old one to get an idea of what Im talking about. http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodicals/ ... s-936.html

NCBA prints a top-20 list in its annual "Directions" magazine. You can call Curt Olsen, I believe he's the editor of the magazine and the Beef Business Bulletin. You can reach him at 303-694-0305.

Best,

Aubracusa

Both outfits have cooperators. Which means that not all of their stock comes from their own herd.

It's a bunch of hot air marketing if you ask me.

Stevenson-Basin is the the largest seedstock producer in the country with 9000+ cows of their own (not cooperators).

MikeC":7pcrls5b said:
Both outfits have cooperators. Which means that not all of their stock comes from their own herd.

It's a bunch of hot air marketing if you ask me.

I never though I would say this to one of your post MikeC, but I AGREE!

Those list doent take quality into account at all and are based soley on volume of sales. Thats not to say they might not have good breeding stock, but you will pay a premium for the same thing you could get from a multitude of smaller or less known breeders.

But then thats wasnt actually your question was it. Sorry, I dont knwo where you can get a current list.

The thing about Camp Cooley is that they provide some great service to their customers. You may pay more for their product(I have no idea of their quality) but you get way more than just a bull. They do alot of marketing for their customers. This is from their website.

PREP (Producer return enhancement program)

Offering Our Customers a Full Slate of Services and Marketing Options

The Producer Return Enhancement Program (P.R.E.P.) has moved to the next level of marketing options for our customers. Our Alliance relationship with Hondo Creek Cattle Co. and Sam Kane Beef Processors Inc. has flourished. The benefits of participating in this supply chain are immense.

The marketing options, information flow and communication among all Alliance participants have been phenomenal. One of the truly exciting components of the Alliance is the retained ownership and partnership options that exist. The Camp Cooley Grid, that Sam Kane Beef Processors Inc. has built for our genetics has been leveraging additional revenue for our customers. To date in 2005, Camp Cooley Ranch® genetics that have qualified for the grid, have earned an additional $35/ head vs. the national Cattle-Fax averages for the week of harvest.

This Alliance has the capability to build a seamless beef production system whereby all participants can benefit from their superior genetics and management. Utilizing the strengths of each customer, we can bridge the gap from the cow calf operator all the way to the consumer. This system can help add stability to your long range marketing and genetic plans by providing our customer the "target", tools and expertise to help him reach the specs.

The P.R.E.P. program is still in place in Kansas as well. We are still feeding customer cattle with Irsik & Doll of Cimarron KS and recently we have begun a relationship with Decatur County Feedyard of Oberlin KS where we have partnered with them on some of shared customers' cattle. We are excited about our relationships in Kansas and look forward to adding more cattle to the mix.

For our smaller customers, who have less than a load (50,000) pound of calves, we are working with Jordan Cattle Auction on their Premium Feeder Calf Sale. Camp Cooley customers may contact Bill Pendergrass of Ken Jordan for details on how to participate in one of the best feeder calf sales in the country. This is one of the best ways to market smaller lots of high quality feeders.

Here is how it works:
Calves must be sired by bulls purchased from Camp Cooley Ranch®.
Calves must meet set vaccination/management levels.
Camp Cooley Ranch® and Irsik & Doll prefer to bid on even load lots of calves. When possible, we will work within our customer base to help customers form co-mingled loads of calves.
At marketing time, contact Camp Cooley Ranch® and tell us which marketing option you wish to pursue. . .
Complete Retained Ownership.
Partial/Partnership Retained Ownership.
Selling 100% of your calves.
To determine the value of your calves, Irsik & Doll will compute the "breakevens."
Once the requirements are satisfied, the calves will be shipped to Irsik & Doll or Royal Beef Feedyard.
Upon harvest, Camp Cooley will prepare a report complete with feedyard and harvest data for your use. CCR staff will then schedule a meeting

How do you know that Stevenson/Basin has 9000 cows without cooperators?

It blows my mind that they went from 3000+ cows 8 years ago to 9000.

They have many cooperators across the USA, that doesn't make them bad people, just the way it is.

SEC":2tld15r3 said:
How do you know that Stevenson/Basin has 9000 cows without cooperators?

It blows my mind that they went from 3000+ cows 8 years ago to 9000.

They have many cooperators across the USA, that doesn't make them bad people, just the way it is.

well, i was wrong. :) i went from memory and screwed it up.

4000 cows plus 1000 cows from cooperators. http://beef-mag.com/mag/beef_family_tradition/

somehow, i think this ad (7000+ Angus Sell) messed with my head. http://www.anguselist.com/volume13/v13anguselist27.html