Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Jersey or a jersey/beef cross is my preference. Guernsey is also high on the list but it has yellow fat and some don't like it. Jerseys are well marbled, and have just a hint of a sweeter taste to the meat...

An old time butcher I knew told me; the only identifiable beef in the cooler is a Hereford. They put on thicker external fat.
Most continental breeds will taste the same if fed the same.

Yeah, gotta moo.... used to date a guy who told a waitress one time who was taking our order, to "just pass it through a warm room" for me....

Gotta insert a funny story here. Your post reminded me... Once, when I was still a young chickie, I went out to dinner with some co-workers and most of us ordered steak. I told the waitress to have the chef breathe warm air on mine (bloody rare, in other words). Meanwhile, everyone else was getting their steaks and I still hadn't got mine, so I said something like I wonder what's taking so long, they hardly have to cook it, what's the problem? One of the guys across the table said, without cracking a smile, "They're still chasing yours around the parking lot." The whole table burst out in belly laughs. Now THAT was funny!

As far as what beef breed tastes best, I think it has to do more with how it was raised, what it was fed, and how it was butchered. Personally, we have Jersey/Angus crosses, and the calves (being sired by Angus bulls) are mostly Angus, so my vote would be Angus, but I haven't had pure Jersey meat, so it might be better. Living in the middle of Angus/Hereford country, I doubt I'll ever find out for sure.

My opinion, a well finished beef of any breed should be good. We have had Angus and Hereford both processed and no discernible difference as far as marbling or flavor. Honestly I would rather sell our black hided calves and keep back a Hereford to process because the black calves sell better, and we would just as soon finish out a Hereford as anything else.
I've heard a lot of people that like Jersey beef and a few that were turned off by the yellow fat. Thanks to a neighbors Jersey bull, we have a Jersey Angus cross heifer, I am hoping that she will calve out ok and if she does I am thinking that calf would make a good beef.

Didn't know so many people ate Jersey meat. Thought we were the only o eta around that did. We sell the beef calves and buy Jersey steers to feed out. Meat tastes better at a lower cost although we don't always take the yield fully into account when addressing cost

I grew up on jersey meat because my parents milked cows. When we quit milking we went to Angus. No of us ever cared for the Angus that much over the jersey but like stated not many people will buy jersey meat because of the yellowed fat and they definitely won't pay beef prices for one

imo - how it's prepared.
My sister-in-law can ruin the very best piece of meat like nobody's business.

True, there can be so many variables. Bad cooking would be one of them. I used to always think I hated venison, but it wasn't the venison I hated, it was the way it was handled. Once I had some that had been properly, and promptly, field-dressed and cooled, it was wonderful, and I couldn't get enough. In the end, I guess beef is beef, with small variations in (maybe) what they ate or how it was butchered (or cooked, LOL!) but anything can be prepared well. Or badly. :)

Latest posts