Breed Checking

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
Ive read where you can test DNA by blood but can you also check what breed (or %'s of) by blood? If so who/where does this testing?

Talk to a local reg cattle producer or vet they can more than likely give some one in your state ,some universities offer it.

CCCowman":vipvrbcg said:
Ive read where you can test DNA by blood but can you also check what breed (or %'s of) by blood? If so who/where does this testing?

To the best of my knowledge this test doesn't exist. If someone ACTUALLY know of one and who is doing it I would love to have that info,.

3waycross":20thinyc said:
CCCowman":20thinyc said:

To the best of my knowledge this test doesn't exist. If someone ACTUALLY know of one and who is doing it I would love to have that info,.

How ya doing 3way? Missed you lately.

I'm doing OK. Sold some of my bulls for good money this year. Still sitting on a couple.

Id have to look back at paper work - But I had some xbred heifers on a gov't test one time and they came back with results of breed make up. Not sure it listed how much of each, but perhaps just what was in their back ground. feed efficiency tests is what they were there for.

well he put out post but aint checked on it ! it simply boils down money if you got it to burn they will take it, most people dont blood test there cows semi an some will test for the red gene ect.. just depends how far you want to go with it if lab has dna on a certian breed then they can match it but there are a lot cows they dont have any genetic background heck they can raise one in testube if you got the money .% of breed well if you buy cow thats black in color it could have angus ? then buy a bull longhorn ,you know its calves are going to be 50% longhorn. the only ones that worry about such things are registered producers the rest we just guess or go off what the person we purchase from tell us .an physical chareristics such as ear ect,,, heck . you can get as technical as you can afford $$$$$$$$$$ but it shows you are thinking about improvement ! thats a good thing ,

mooo":jlgn7sen said:
well he put out post but aint checked on it ! it simply boils down money if you got it to burn they will take it, most people dont blood test there cows semi an some will test for the red gene ect.. just depends how far you want to go with it if lab has dna on a certian breed then they can match it but there are a lot cows they dont have any genetic background heck they can raise one in testube if you got the money .% of breed well if you buy cow thats black in color it could have angus ? then buy a bull longhorn ,you know its calves are going to be 50% longhorn. the only ones that worry about such things are registered producers the rest we just guess or go off what the person we purchase from tell us .an physical chareristics such as ear ect,,, heck . you can get as technical as you can afford $$$$$$$$$$ but it shows you are thinking about improvement ! thats a good thing ,

The Angus Assn says that you can't. The Gelbvieh Assn says you can't. We just went through this a couple of weeks ago...I don't suppose you could be a little more specific as to who is capable of doing this test

sim.-ang.king":3axcbhvf said:
3waycross":3axcbhvf said:
I'm doing OK. Sold some of my bulls for good money this year. Still sitting on a couple.

Are they saddle broke yet? :lol: :dunce:

They may be before I get them sold! :cowboy:

I see those ads on TV from Ancestry.com that says they can tell what percentage of your ancestors came from what part of the world from a DNA sample. Draw a little blood from a bull, send it to them, and see what kind of results you get.

Rafter S":j07p7cfi said:
I see those ads on TV from Ancestry.com that says they can tell what percentage of your ancestors came from what part of the world from a DNA sample. Draw a little blood from a bull, send it to them, and see what kind of results you get.

could be stein in the woodpile :hide:

3waycross":51ronlgu said:
mooo":51ronlgu said:

The Angus Assn says that you can't. The Gelbvieh Assn says you can't. We just went through this a couple of weeks ago...I don't suppose you could be a little more specific as to who is capable of doing this test

This.

Here is more bull my statement full of it simply if you have sire name an dam from a breed you can tell by dna that is of that sire or dam but thats bull you take a cow that look like herford an say it is angus for all i care more bullRACT: Deoxyribonucleic acid-based tests were
used to assign paternity to 625 calves from a multiplesire
breeding pasture. There was a large variability in
calf output and a large proportion of young bulls that
did not sire any offspring. Five of 27 herd sires produced
over 50% of the calves, whereas 10 sires produced no
progeny and 9 of these were yearling bulls. A comparison
was made between the paternity results obtained
when using a DNA marker panel with a high (0.999),
cumulative parentage exclusion probability (PE) and
those obtained when using a marker panel with a lower
PE (0.956). A large percentage (67%) of the calves had
multiple qualifying sires when using the lower resolution
panel. Assignment of the most probable sire using
a likelihood-based method based on genotypic information
resolved this problem in approximately 80% of the
cases, resulting in 75% agreement between the 2
marker panels more bull !

Right.

You can determine parentage of a calf if you also have DNA on the parents.

You cannot tell relative breed % in any animal work any test.

WalnutCrest":132fw7mk said:
Right.

You can determine parentage of a calf if you also have DNA on the parents.

You cannot tell relative breed % in any animal work any test.

Correct. BTW we are taking a different approach to our problem. The original owner of the bull has DNA on what is NOT supposed to be a 1/2 brother to the bull in question. If DNA proves ANY family relationship at all then we will know there was in fact a Gelbvieh in the woodpile

Rafter S":3obgep38 said:
I would totally do that!..

Latest posts