bred heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Outrigger2

Reaction score
Had a lighting storm last night.....one dead bred heifer was found in the pasture. no visisble marks. still had grass in her mouth. kind of a S@#$$y morning. :(

Re:
Look for a lighter colored stripe down her spine.
Also look for burn marks inside her nostrils and mouth and on the bottoms of her feet.
If you have insurance call a vet and have a post done to document it. Be sure he notes how far along she is so you can get paid for both cow and calf.
SL

no insurance. talked to the vet this morning, and he said it is very difficult to determine lightning if there are no obvious signs. and the vet school would tell me me she died. which i would have told them that was obvious(laying down the sarcasm real thick). cattle were on fescue/bermuda mix. no supplements other than free choice mineral. she was about 30ft from electric offset wire.

Well with no insurance involved just write it off and go on with life.
S happens!
Re:
talked to the vet this morning, and he said it is very difficult to determine lightning
True! But what he could tell you is what didn’t cause it with a post, which would cause a reasonably intelligent person to the conclusion it was lightening.
I have collected twice over the years just this way, and got paid for the cow and her unborn calf.
SL

Outrigger2":3l0jta0x said:
you are right...$&it happens.

Sorry to hear your trouble. When I was a youngster, my uncle had 16 dairy cows killed by lightning all in one shot. They were huddled under a tree on top of a hill during a storm and WHAM. He had insurance, but it only covered about 1/4 what it cost to relace them.