Bred Heifer Pricing Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Dueyb

Reaction score
I have a group of 10 Red Angus heifers confirmed bred AI to Redemption for Feb 15. Heifers came from a single source herd with Montana origin and Bieber ranch bulls. Very uniform and avg 1050-1100 pounds. What would you expect for sale price private treaty? I know they would bring more late winter but I want to make room for a new set of heifer calves at home so looking to move these soon if there is demand. We are in a slight drought now with many feeding hay already which is about 3 months early for here in S Iowa. Thanks

Dunlap ia today buy best heifers in country again same as last week for $1600. I'd ask $2000 and take first $1500 cash money came my way. I say if you can double price you would have gotten for her last fall you made money.

TennesseeTuxedo":2rsq0710 said:
kd4au":2rsq0710 said:
Saw a group similar to them bring $2000 on Superior last week.

Similar breeding?
Can't say for sure. I did see some with the Bieber blood, just can't remember if they are the ones that brought $2000. And I did not see all of the sale.

Dueyb":hgqw92ip said:
have a group of 10 Red Angus heifers confirmed bred AI to Redemption for Feb 15. Heifers came from a single source herd with Montana origin and Bieber ranch bulls. Very uniform and avg 1050-1100 pounds.
What would you expect for sale price private treaty?
$1750 now
maybe 1950 - 2000 mid to late January

I would suggest that your next group of heifers do NOT have Montana origin. In southern Iowa they cannot handle the fescue. They may look good now, but are not herd builders.
They simply won't hold up over the long term and will have breed back problems.
Just some advice from someone who did exactly what you have done, but I did it twice to prove to myself. gs

I hear ya on the fescue thing but I should have clarified. The cow herd they came from has MT origin. The cows have been on our place custom grazed for 3 years and seem to do great. Granted we have a good mix of fescue with orchard, brome and Timothy along with lots of clover. Cows are on stalks and silage/ground hay in winter so they come in good shape and leave in good shape.

Thanks for all the replies. I was kinda thinking that 1750-1800 range myself today and yes probably 1900-2000 this winter.

We seem to have more problems with the SD bulls on fescue than the cows from MT.

I need to close this thread now cause the heifer prices yall are speaking of are too rich for my blood I can't even afford to look at them.

skyhightree1":2yijq5vl said:
I need to close this thread now cause the heifer prices yall are speaking of are too rich for my blood I can't even afford to look at them.

Heard an Ag TV talking head say something useful :eek: recently - - "have to quit buying overpriced heifers, and hope calf prices go up, so they are profitable".

Stocker Steve":3asga5yq said:
skyhightree1":3asga5yq said:

Heard an Ag TV talking head say something useful :eek: recently - - "have to quit buying overpriced heifers, and hope calf prices go up, so they are profitable".

Guy I know that bought those 2700-3100 heifers when prices were high that last year before prices tanked said it will take 12 calves to get their $$ back to each their own but I can't afford to tie up that much in something unproven.

I hope those prices are there in January. I've got 15 that will be sold. Would love to get the $2K per head.

Stocker Steve":gpuh2kam said:
skyhightree1":gpuh2kam said:

:2cents: yup

Talk AI and embryo, your a generation or two away from my interest.

Latest posts