Breaking Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Heritage_Farmboy said:
$850 is not too much...I charge $1,500 to train a foal/quote]

How long do you have the foal for $1500? Thats probably about what I pay. But 1500 for 30 days is way out of line, I pay 325 per month and I give the great guy I found 120 days, more if I want more out of the horse. I'm happy to pay because he is gentle and calm and takes his time, plus my horse is always in show shape, clean and healthy. I make it a habit to "pop" in on his barn unannounced.

Alan

Jaydill,

You have recieved some very sound advice from the responses to this post, and I agree with them completly. Buy a well broke solid horse. Try to find two different, very experienced horse people to go out and look at your prospect. Two may be hard but you're putting all your trust in this person. Have the owner of the horse always ride it first. Check to see if the horse is sweating are panting hard to see if they ran it to the point of being tired before they had to get on... red flag. Lots to know, so is why you need someone you can trust to go with you.

I bought a 6 month old colt a few years ago, what you get is a 500lb animal that has never been touched and is scared. Hard combo for a person new to horses to deal with. And as been mentioned before expensive to raise to a rock solid saddle horse.

Plus sense you're getting ready to go to college you would have more to do with a well mannered, well broke horse ie; trail riding with freinds.

JMO and good luck,
Alan

Alan":ulfj59qm said:
Heritage_Farmboy":ulfj59qm said:
$850 is not too much...I charge $1,500 to train a foal/quote]

How long do you have the foal for $1500? Thats probably about what I pay. But 1500 for 30 days is way out of line, I pay 325 per month and I give the great guy I found 120 days, more if I want more out of the horse. I'm happy to pay because he is gentle and calm and takes his time, plus my horse is always in show shape, clean and healthy. I make it a habit to "pop" in on his barn unannounced.

Alan

I don't charge by the days or months...I just charge 1,500 until I get the horse fully trained...i'll take them all the way through all the basics, some take longer than others to train...but it's still the same price no matter how long it takes...although some do want them to be trained for specialty riding such as cutting, roping, racing...all of that costs more money because it takes a lot longer to teach...most people here just want a horse to go on trail rides with and a horse they can ride around their farms and their cattle without being spooked, also a lot of kids around here will ride their horses to school...and I dont want their horses to freak out when a car or truck drives passed...so I also have to work with that a lot

3MR":izc1is2r said:
jaydill":izc1is2r said:
3MR":izc1is2r said:
I know this is slightly off the subject, but why would you lease a horse you cant ride?

PS:I wouldnt recomend you buy a "Broke" horse, try one thats been "trained". :lol:
Cause it was free :lol: And I was supposed to be having an experienced friend come break/train her for me but...she hasn't shown up yet. :lol:

Sorry, to me lease means you paid something for her.

I hope this isnt the same friend you were counting on to help with one you might buy.
I know lease usually does...that's why at one point I put lease in quotes.

But I hope I haven't confused you. There was no horse I might buy...I was simply looking at some ranch pages and saw foals for sale when the idea occurred to me. I came here to ask about the idea and have been shown how it was not such a good idea.

Thanks for all of the advice y'all. It'll probably be a few years before I end up actually purchasing anything...but that's alright since in the meantime I'll be busy with vet school.

Thanks again,
Jay

jaydill":3muv5anw said:
3MR":3muv5anw said:
jaydill":3muv5anw said:
3MR":3muv5anw said:
I know this is slightly off the subject, but why would you lease a horse you cant ride?

PS:I wouldnt recomend you buy a "Broke" horse, try one thats been "trained". :lol:
Cause it was free :lol: And I was supposed to be having an experienced friend come break/train her for me but...she hasn't shown up yet. :lol:

I hope this isnt the same friend you were counting on to help with one you might buy.

But I hope I haven't confused you. There was no horse I might buy...I was simply looking at some ranch pages and saw foals for sale when the idea occurred to me. I came here to ask about the idea and have been shown how it was not such a good idea.

Thanks for all of the advice y'all. It'll probably be a few years before I end up actually purchasing anything...but that's alright since in the meantime I'll be busy with vet school.

Thanks again,
Jay

while at Vet School, if you are working with large animals, near the end, ask if you can be shown how to train horses, it is a good place to learn, it would probably be in your free time that is what my Friend did in her last year, she has about 10 Show Jump horses now, I go to help her with them sometimes. Not sure if you can do that in the US, but it wont hurt to ask.

chrisy":c5ygfvwz said:
jaydill":c5ygfvwz said:
3MR":c5ygfvwz said:
jaydill":c5ygfvwz said:
3MR":c5ygfvwz said:

Thanks again,
Jay

while at Vet School, if you are working with large animals, near the end, ask if you can be shown how to train horses, it is a good place to learn, it would probably be in your free time that is what my Friend did in her last year, she has about 10 Show Jump horses now, I go to help her with them sometimes. Not sure if you can do that in the US, but it wont hurt to ask.
I actually did find that they have an "Equine Training" course at my school! I was skimming their course catalog and found it. Thanks for the suggestion! I think I will take it if I have room for a few more hours one of these years. Hopefully sooner than later!

Thanks again,
Jay

Latest posts