Breaking Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

jaydill

Reaction score
Just a question. What's the earliest y'all would start halter breaking?

Alan":2h7ystly said:
Getting use to a halter.... One day old.

Alan

agreed, just dont leave it on him/her while yor not around. dont even step in the house for a minute. always have your eye on them whil they are wearing the halter

Miss Daisy":23xftpi4 said:
Alan":23xftpi4 said:

Alan

agreed, just dont leave it on him/her while yor not around. dont even step in the house for a minute. always have your eye on them whil they are wearing the halter

Great point Miss Daisy, I was too short and blunt. One day old foals are a blank slate, don't scare them.

Alan

Alan":qi2aloo7 said:
Miss Daisy":qi2aloo7 said:
Alan":qi2aloo7 said:

Alan

Great point Miss Daisy, I was too short and blunt. One day old foals are a blank slate, don't scare them.

Alan

Yep, there are lots of familiarization type things you can do when they are very young that will make life a lot easier on you later.

Thanks for all of the answers y'all. I was just curious as I saw a few foals for sale and was considering buying one. I do have the one horse that I'm basically leasing, but she's not broke to ride yet and I'm gettin ready to go to college. I was starting to want my own horse...one that is totally mine, so looking through a few websites, I considered some foals. I'd have to break it on my own but it would be a lot less $$$ than trying to buy one already broke for myself.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":32bfennh said:
I tend to disagree with that. How experienced are you at breaking horses? If you dont have alot of experience doing it then the medical bills you will be spending getting your body put back the way it was before will add up to alot more than buying a horse that is already broke to ride. Heck you could get a 10,000 dollar reining horse thats broke for hard riding and spinning etc for cheaper than you could pay medical bills for injuries sustained while trying to break em. I promise you 2 days in the hospital will be well over 10,000.
I wouldn't be dumb enough to break by myself. :p I know more than one person whose help I would seek.

jaydill":367fce1d said:
Thanks for all of the answers y'all. I was just curious as I saw a few foals for sale and was considering buying one. I do have the one horse that I'm basically leasing, but she's not broke to ride yet and I'm gettin ready to go to college. I was starting to want my own horse...one that is totally mine, so looking through a few websites, I considered some foals. I'd have to break it on my own but it would be a lot less $$$ than trying to buy one already broke for myself.

why would you want to buy an untrained horse for your first horse?...a lot of people dont realize how much you have to put into training a horse...it's not easy...especially with a foal...they are young and full of energy...a lot of people around here have bought untrained foals then realized that they didn't have any idea how to get their attention, get them to calm down, and then get them trained...so they ended up bringing them to me...which wasted more of their money...they bought the young foal because it was very cheap...like most people do...then they had to pay me to train him...which probably exceeded the amount they would have paid for a horse than had already been trained...at least with an untrained horse, you can train him anyway you want...but it takes a lot of time and if you have to take baby steps when training a horse...if you go too fast they'll just forget everything you wanted them to learn...are you going to have help training your foal?...by someone who is experienced with training horses?

Take care

jaydill":pfutarnx said:

Unless you are pretty experienced, I have to say NO :stop: !! I have been there done that with too many inexperienced people who all think it would be cheaper than buying a broke horse. Have to tell you that it isn't. First off you start off with a oh, lets say $500 colt, then you wait 11/2 years before you can start riding him so you have put feed into it for that long. Then, if you get him started by a professional for 60 days you are looking at $700-$1000 and no guarantees that you get a safe/sane horse :shock: . So now you're probably up to that $1500 range + feed for a couple years for a horse you still haven't ridden. Now if you are lucky you bought yourself a really good colt and can go on on your own, if you aren't the trainer tells you that the horse needs more time, or you need to find a safer horse. Now if you were to go out and spend $2000 or so on a good broke horse in the first place, you would have been riding for the last couple years and be safe..... :cboy:

I also would not suggest you start the colt yourself if you are inexperienced. That is the most dangerous combination, a green horse and a green rider. I doesn't take much to spook a green colt, and you can get seriously injured.

On the other hand, if you are pretty experienced, and figure you can do it yourself go ahead. That is what I do, but I do have several broke horses around that I can ride while I am waiting on the young ones. :D

Heritage_Farmboy":c362nywa said:
are you going to have help training your foal?...by someone who is experienced with training horses?
If I chose to get a foal, yes, I would. I wouldn't seek doing it myself. There was a guy around where I'm leasing the other horse who breaks for $850. I don't know a whole bunch about him, but a couple of people have told me his work is fine. Not exemplary, but fine. So I figured the prices would be alright but thank you, Randiliana, for the price run down. I hadn't figured in feed.. I spose I'll stick with the one I've got. Thanks for the responses.

jaydill":d0wyy9fg said:
Heritage_Farmboy":d0wyy9fg said:
are you going to have help training your foal?...by someone who is experienced with training horses?
If I chose to get a foal, yes, I would. I wouldn't seek doing it myself. There was a guy around where I'm leasing the other horse who breaks for $850. I don't know a whole bunch about him, but a couple of people have told me his work is fine. Not exemplary, but fine. So I figured the prices would be alright but thank you, Randiliana, for the price run down. I hadn't figured in feed.. I spose I'll stick with the one I've got. Thanks for the responses.

You're welcome. This one gets to me because the last guy ended up bringing me 2 horses that I had to tell him weren't going to work for him. He lost a bunch of money on them, and the one ended up hurting me. If you aren't experienced, it is far, far better to start out with a well broke horse!! Cheaper, and safer too.

Also, you have to figure in your other upkeep costs: deworming, vaccinations, farrier......

jaydill":16v5x2gc said:
Heritage_Farmboy":16v5x2gc said:

does he just break them and let you train them how you want...or does he break and train them for everything also?...$850 is not too much...I charge $1,500 to train a foal for riding...more if they want me to train a draft horse...so $850 seems like a pretty good deal...but either way...foals are always harder to train...it's just hard to get them to concentrate...i'd learn more about the trainer before i'd hire him...but if you get a trainer that just skips a bunch of steps...then sooner or later you'll have to go back and reteach everything to the horse, back to where his training is lacking...if you're going to buy a untrained foal...make sure you get a good trainer...good luck finding a horse though

Take care

Heritage_Farmboy":1gd3euzh said:
jaydill":1gd3euzh said:
Heritage_Farmboy":1gd3euzh said:

does he just break them and let you train them how you want...or does he break and train them for everything also?...$850 is not too much...I charge $1,500 to train a foal for riding...more if they want me to train a draft horse...so $850 seems like a pretty good deal...but either way...foals are always harder to train...it's just hard to get them to concentrate...i'd learn more about the trainer before i'd hire him...but if you get a trainer that just skips a bunch of steps...then sooner or later you'll have to go back and reteach everything to the horse, back to where his training is lacking...if you're going to buy a untrained foal...make sure you get a good trainer...good luck finding a horse though

Take care
I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to find out. I think I'm going to stick with what I've got for now, though. The thought of getting a foal and working that way was just something that passed through my mind while surfing a site and so I figured I might ask what others though of it. Thanks again for the responses!

Jay

jaydill":2cd17a64 said:
Heritage_Farmboy":2cd17a64 said:
jaydill":2cd17a64 said:
Heritage_Farmboy":2cd17a64 said:

Take care
I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to find out. I think I'm going to stick with what I've got for now, though. The thought of getting a foal and working that way was just something that passed through my mind while surfing a site and so I figured I might ask what others though of it. Thanks again for the responses!

Jay

be careful when searching them sites...they only tell people exactly what they want to hear...i've seen some that say how great is it to buy a foal because you can "bond" with them better :roll: ...just dont believe everything them stupid sites tell you...if I were you...i'd check out a few horse farms around you...where you can actually see the horses and check em all out before you consider buying one of them

Heritage_Farmboy":5vequzah said:
jaydill":5vequzah said:
jaydill":5vequzah said:

Take care

Jay

be careful when searching them sites...they only tell people exactly what they want to hear...i've seen some that say how great is it to buy a foal because you can "bond" with them better :roll: ...just dont believe everything them stupid sites tell you...if I were you...i'd check out a few horse farms around you...where you can actually see the horses and check em all out before you consider buying one of them
Alright, thanks for all of the advice. I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to horses so I figured I'd come run all my newbie ideas by you folks on this part of the boards before I went out and did something stupid. :lol:

jaydill":qvavax12 said:
Heritage_Farmboy":qvavax12 said:

Take care

Jay

Alright, thanks for all of the advice. I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to horses so I figured I'd come run all my newbie ideas by you folks on this part of the boards before I went out and did something stupid. :lol:

You're welcome...I had to learn the hard way with all my newbie ideas when I was young :lol: ...a horse is a great friend to have though...just some people get into over their head with it...but horses are great to have if they are good tempered and trained well

jaydill":3rtbxok6 said:

I wish every newbie would ask a few questions first :cboy: , it would save them a lot of time money and injuries :D :D :D

I know this is slightly off the subject, but why would you lease a horse you cant ride?

PS:I wouldnt recomend you buy a "Broke" horse, try one thats been "trained". :lol:

3MR":1ukayik2 said:
I know this is slightly off the subject, but why would you lease a horse you cant ride?

PS:I wouldnt recomend you buy a "Broke" horse, try one thats been "trained". :lol:
Cause it was free :lol: And I was supposed to be having an experienced friend come break/train her for me but...she hasn't shown up yet. :lol:

jaydill":39edde9c said:
3MR":39edde9c said:

Cause it was free :lol: And I was supposed to be having an experienced friend come break/train her for me but...she hasn't shown up yet. :lol:

Sorry, to me lease means you paid something for her.

I hope this isnt the same friend you were counting on to help with one you might buy.

Latest posts