Bread and cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa you're painting with a very broad brush there. In this case starch overload probably was the culprit but all that stuff you posted needs to have "may cause" to each sentence. Dairy cattle eat very large amounts of starches everyday and if the ration is balance properly with an adequate amount of long stem roughage there is little to no change in rumen ph thus no acidosis. What this cattle owner did was simply stupidity and hopefully he/she learned a lesson. The same applies to feedlot cattle.

Okay, Texas Bred, for one thing I posted on here for thoughts, ideas, not scrutiny!!! I have known people to feed bread for years and yes even as a sole feed, as they can get it cheap. I nor my buddy have ever heard of bread causing anything like this, and the vet has only seen it one other time and he has been practicing since 1974. The amount of bread fed to 17 animals should not have been a problem. My buddies brother did not know that the gate was open to the other pasture and that most of the cows had gone up the hill to the corn stubble field. The vet said that if all of the cows had been there eating there would have been no problem, but the 4 or 5 that stumbled across it ate it all. He said it was just one of those things, and shyt happens. Sorry for the rant, I just can't stand to ask a question, then someone say its stupidity! Stupidity would be to not ask questions and seek feedback!

ifarm26":6wpmwvty said:
Okay, Texas Bred, for one thing I posted on here for thoughts, ideas, not scrutiny!!! I have known people to feed bread for years and yes even as a sole feed, as they can get it cheap. I nor my buddy have ever heard of bread causing anything like this, and the vet has only seen it one other time and he has been practicing since 1974. The amount of bread fed to 17 animals should not have been a problem. My buddies brother did not know that the gate was open to the other pasture and that most of the cows had gone up the hill to the corn stubble field. The vet said that if all of the cows had been there eating there would have been no problem, but the 4 or 5 that stumbled across it ate it all. He said it was just one of those things, and shyt happens. Sorry for the rant, I just can't stand to ask a question, then someone say its stupidity! Stupidity would be to not ask questions and seek feedback!

Sorry if I offended you but my comment was not even directed at you. But it is a bit "stupid" to dump a half load of ANYTHING out and drive off and allow the cattle to decide who gets how much, then not know that the gate is open, and that just about anything fed "free choice in large amounts" can be dangerous. Just hoping this shyt doesn't happen often. My apologies and condolences and tell him to keep the vet on speed dial.

Latest posts