Brazilian Beef Stopped

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39

Reaction score
Brazilian Beef

Cow and Calf weekly 3/13/05

"Brazil Halts Beef Shipments To The U.S.
Brazil's Ag Ministry voluntarily halted shipments of beef products to the U.S. last week. Ministry officials say all 28 Brazilian companies licensed to ship processed beef to the U.S. suspended exports until further notice. The government suspended shipments after U.S. plant inspectors found inconsistencies in Brazil's sanitary inspection system and inspection problems in individual packing plants. The U.S. will now undertake a plant-by-plant review funded by the meat packers.

One of the main inconsistencies was the hiring of inspectors. For lack of federal resources, many plant sanitary inspectors are hired by the companies or through agreements with states and municipalities. Brazil has promised more oversight of the plants in question.

Due to foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) in some regions, Brazil was able to ship only "thermally-treated" beef -- not fresh beef -- to the U.S. Although 15 of Brazil's 27 states are declared "FMD free with vaccination," the entire country is required to have this rating before it can export fresh beef and pork into North America.

The export suspension may be reviewed in as little as three weeks, but Brazilian officials believe it could take a year to regain U.S. markets. Brazilian meatpackers don't foresee significant losses as the U.S. accounts for about 8% of Brazil's beef export market. But there are those who believe the U.S. ban could encourage other countries to demand tougher sanitary controls, and Brazil doesn't want to jeopardize its world-leading beef exporter status.

The Brazilian meat sector has been furious over cuts of ministry sanitary and phytosanitary control program budgets. Those cuts were announced last month by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

"This shows the low importance the government gives to the meat sector," says Vicente Ferraz, analyst of FNP Consultoria.

The ag ministry says it will release R$40 million (US$15 million) for sanitary defense, linked to other stipulations, in order to implement the changes necessary to regain the U.S. beef export market. "

This looks to me like another good reason that we need Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling...Really doesn't give me a good feeling that we could be eating beef from a third world country that can't afford inspectors- passed off with a USDA stamp as a US product.....How many Reais slipped under the table would it take to get one of these "inspectors" to look the other way as anything is slipped by? :(

My thoughts also oldtimer. We seem to have inside dictates by our Gov. but it doesn't apply for other countries sending items into our economy. A sort of double standard. We have min wage...but we buy from co's that pay slave labor.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if we said to all co's wanting to export to us...ok but you must meet certain standards our producers are operating by...to even the playing field! Wouldn't that help the developing world?

preston39":8g3lvz10 said:
My thoughts also oldtimer. We seem to have inside dictates by our Gov. but it doesn't apply for other countries sending items into our economy. A sort of double standard. We have min wage...but we buy from co's that pay slave labor.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if we said to all co's wanting to export to us...ok but you must meet certain standards our producers are operating by...to even the playing field! Wouldn't that help the developing world?

It think that falls under the "Law of Supply and Demand" ... it wouldn't be coming here if we didn't buy it.

Do you focus on buying products made in our country ?? .... even if they cost more.. I do.

I think we could produce it..but at higher costs. Thus the triangle is developed. Agreed...we buy and complain about the imports removing our jobs.

I try to buy American...but in several instances we have no alternative...thats what WM has on the shelf...I guess.

Wewild":ap2gts4k said:
preston39":ap2gts4k said:

It think that falls under the "Law of Supply and Demand" ... it wouldn't be coming here if we didn't buy it.

Do you focus on buying products made in our country ?? .... even if they cost more.. I do.

Problem is that with produce, meat and some other food products most consumers have no choice-most of it is not labeled as to what country it comes from so you can make a choice...Your shirts and shorts are labeled, but not your steak.....

And the packers will continue to fight country of origin labeling so they can continue to keep importing these cheap meat products into the country and pass them off to the consumer as a US product.....

preston39":17g2whh3 said:
I think we could produce it..but at higher costs. Thus the triangle is developed. Agreed...we buy and complain about the imports removing our jobs.

I try to buy American...but in several instances we have no alternative...thats what WM has on the shelf...I guess.

I don't go to WM.

Wewild":165b65bf said:
preston39":165b65bf said:

I don't go to WM.

AMEN--They will never get me thru their doors.........

wewild...oldtimer,

I would agree with your thoughts...but as a consumer...where do we go?

I don't know of a store that doesn't have the same imports....even dollar general...family dollar...Sears/K-Mart.....so what does one do...on some things?

Many(and many more I hasten to add) are ONLY produced outside.

Our companies are building factories like mad in China, Asia, south america in order to lower product costs and enhance their profits ..over all.

I just read in the WSJ where Gm is producing( a widely used) engine in China and importing it thru Canada...I don't know if it is being installed in Canada..or coming on to the US...probably both. In any event the cars in Canada are imported...same result.

Our work economy is changing...to a svc. oriented one which is/will impose a lower income and thus a living standard modification here in the us. This while our expected continued help to foreign nations will increase in demand.

Latest posts