Brangus/Hereford Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Has anyone bred a Hereford bull to Brangus cows? If so how did the heifer calves turn out and did the bull calves sell good?

Lucky said:
Has anyone bred a Hereford bull to Brangus cows? If so how did the heifer calves turn out and did the bull calves sell good?

Super baldies absolutely fantastic cross for terminal or retained heifers IMO.
I ran seven Brangus girls with my Hereford for years. Those calves always rang the bell at the salebarn.

Works well here. Better than the angus/Hereford cross for mashing a scale down. However I do think I see lighter weaning weights from my superbaldie crosses. But then again, My superbaldies are some gentle and easy going cows.

1982vett said:
Works well here. Better than the angus/Hereford cross for mashing a scale down. However I do think I see lighter weaning weights from my superbaldie crosses. But then again, My superbaldies are some gentle and easy going cows.

Would make since if you're backcrossing the superbaldies to one of their parent breeds: Hereford or brangus.

What's the cross that the super baldies are being compared to in your herd?

I sold my super baldy heifers today. They're February calves. Guy said he'd pick them up when I wean everything else.

Draper said:
1982vett said:

Would make since if you're backcrossing the superbaldies to one of their parent breeds: Hereford or brangus.

What's the cross that the super baldies are being compared to in your herd?

This year they were bred to Charolais hoping to close the gap. Last year some were bred to Angus and some to Hereford. Prior year(s) to Angus. Still had good calves that sold well.

Lucky said:
Got my first one on the ground now..won't know how she'll sell yet.and may not for awhile...cause she's already on the retaining list..out of a great cow and L1 bull...

Latest posts