Brangus Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

hoyt79

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying 5-6 heifers this summer and decided to go with Brangus. I got in contact with Wynne Ranch down in S. Florida (2.5 hrs south of me) and was told their heifers start at $1500 for 1 year olds. At that price, I probably won't be getting 5-6 together (maybe 2-3) and can't decide if I should go with Wynne or purchase younger calves for less from someone else. Those Wynne heifers look better than any I've seen. Does anyone here have experience from Wynne Ranch? What would you do? Get 2 or 3 from them or 5-6 calves from a smaller breeder?

Wynne's stock looks great & most reg breeders are prob gonna be around that price for yearling heifers. However, maybe since you're just starting out you buy some less expensive stock to learn on... instead of having a ferrari for your first car, you test drive and own some fords first? it would stink to crash a ferrari!

If your just going to have a few, have the best you can afford. It's hard to make money on just a few any way you go. I've never bought from them, but have seen their cattle. They are good breeders.

Thanks for the replies. I can see where both of you are coming from and is why I asked. I'm not striving to start a full on cattle business but do intend on selling the calves each year and keeping one for myself. I've got a pasture that is paid for and full of healthy grass. My costs to own should be minimum. My thought process was that with high quality cattle, I could get more for the calves when I was ready to sell. Again, I'm not trying to support myself on this but maximizing the profits I do make is important to me.

I agree with buying the best quality you can afford. It doesn't cost any more to keep a good one than a dink.
Good luck with your venture!

true, it costs just as much to keep a bad one than to keep an outstanding one... but you could buy pretty good quality heifers for less than half the price and AI them to get some great calves. but all depends on your goals

hoyt79":3ee61ubt said:
Does anyone have, or know anyone who has had first hand experience with Wynne Ranch?

Hard to get a reply to something like that on a forum like this. Cattle and EPD's should speak for themselves.

Bigfoot":1z3ejlg0 said:
hoyt79":1z3ejlg0 said:
Does anyone have, or know anyone who has had first hand experience with Wynne Ranch?

Hard to get a reply to something like that on a forum like this. Cattle and EPD's should speak for themselves.

Oh I see. I'm still learning how to read and understand the EPD's.

the angus association webpage has section on explanation of their epds, pretty useful info

I have been there and rode around and seen the animals. They were a first class operation, with some fine stock. I do not own any of their stock, I run commercial stock, and was looking at bulls mostly. Their prices were to high at the time for my budget. It will be worth the ride just to look around. If you shoot skeet there's a fine range close by, it's Quail Creek Plantation.

brihop":1j492a35 said:
true, it costs just as much to keep a bad one than to keep an outstanding one... but you could buy pretty good quality heifers for less than half the price and AI them to get some great calves. but all depends on your goals

If you can buy pretty good quality heifers for less than half of 1500 dollars let me know where because I can get 750 for a just weaned one. There is no way I would go to the trouble of putting a set of year old heifers together to sale for less than 1500 right now. If they have good brangus stuff the price is good.

I have been helping to buy some Brangus heifers for a customer that is putting together some replacement heifers. It is a slow process as you have to see the right kind and then out bid other folks who are looking for the same kind. Lots of black heifers, but few really good Brangus. Those heifers are costing $750 to $800 standing at the sale barn without anything for putting them together or processing (vaccinations).

B&M Farms":1ebtfubg said:
brihop":1ebtfubg said:

If you can buy pretty good quality heifers for less than half of 1500 dollars let me know where because I can get 750 for a just weaned one. There is no way I would go to the trouble of putting a set of year old heifers together to sale for less than 1500 right now. If they have good brangus stuff the price is good.

note that I didn't say they'd be Reg or even PB Brangus, just "pretty good quality"... yes, we can buy a decent yearling heifer down here for 750. shipping to texas gonna cost ya though!

brihop":1lr67g39 said:
B&M Farms":1lr67g39 said:
brihop":1lr67g39 said:

note that I didn't say they'd be Reg or even PB Brangus, just "pretty good quality"... yes, we can buy a decent yearling heifer down here for 750. shipping to texas gonna cost ya though!

What you meant was that they would be black, long ears and big navels. Some sort of brimmer cross that turned out black.