brangus bull calf won't suck

Help Support CattleToday:

lunker

Reaction score
Ive got a 2 day old brangus bull calf that appears to have not
nursed yet.
This morning I bottle fed it a bag of colostrum.
Took about 15 minutes before he figured out how to suck.
Will this help it with figuring out how to nurse ( I havent even seen
attemt to find her teat.
I had to separate the calf so I could bottle feed it .
Now the momma acts like she will plow me over if I get near her
calf.
Her bag is getting tighter and I'm afraid the won't be able to nurse
any of the quarters if he doesn't try soon.
Any Ideas.
Lunker

Put her in a chute and bring the calf around to nurse. Strip some milk on the calfs mouth and face. If you can get him sucking a finger or the bottle, slip him under the cow so he has to reach past the udder to nurse. SLip the finger/bottle out and poke a teat in his mouth. Other then that, bottle feeding if he'll suck may be your only option.

dun

Milk the cow down, bottle the calf and then take it to the sale barn. Pairs are still bringing good money. That is my humble opinion. If not do a Dun said.

Scotty

Scotty":1hjen7ll said:
Milk the cow down, bottle the calf and then take it to the sale barn. Pairs are still bringing good money. That is my humble opinion. If not do a Dun said.

Scotty

That would be the most profitable way out.
I'll give the calf one more day to figure out
nursing. I would like to know how you all
milk a range cow, without getting your arm
broke off, chute or no chute.
If that don't work I'll bottle feed the calf, and ship
the cow in february when slaughter cows pick
back up.

DOES GETTING A CALF ON A BOTTLE GIVE IT
A BETTER SHOT AT TRYING TO NURSE?
LUNKER

If you pass a rope aroundthe cow just forward of her udder and cinch it up TIGHT it keeps them from being able to kick (as well). Tailing her sometimes works.
We've had problems when going from a teat to the bottle and vice versa. But we had a twin a couple of years ago that we would give a bottle around noon everyday. The rest of the time he nursed alon with his sister.
If we went out without the bottle he would look to see if you had the bottle, if you didn't he'ld just go about his business. But hold the bottle over your head and shake it and he'ld come from a couple of hundred yards to suck.

dun

Years ago we had three sets of twins in one season. We raised to of the calves, and left one set of twins on the cow to nurse. When we'd go out in the pasture to feed the two twins, we'd give whatever was left to the third twin that was still with the momma cow.

It is usually harder to get them to go from the teat to a bottle, and vise versa, onve they get started. If he's never actually nursed from the cow, he won't associate her with feeding him, he'll associate you with feeding him.

Well I've got the calf on the bottle this weekend.
I penned the mother in the corral with it.
After I give him a bottle he goes and butts the mother
but never in the right spot.
At least the moma is still concerned.
lunker

Latest posts