branding

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
If this is posted in the wrong place someone please move it for me. :D I was just wondering about branding in general. I still see cattle with brands from time to time so I know some people still do it but there doesn't seem to be that many. For those that have experience at it is the technique (sp) hard to learn? I assume serious damage could be done if done incorrectly. Is there a good reason for branding versus eartags notches, etc? Is it legal in all states or have the PETA people got this outlawed in some states? I think brands are cool but I'm not sure I want to stick a red hot branding iron on a calf. Paybacks someday might be painful. :shock:

im going to brand my reg cattle.ive got my brand reged with the county.my brand goes on the right side.check with your local county clerks office bout reging your brand.

Branding is a requirement of my association.

Not only is it an easy way to indentify your cattle, it helps as has been said already against theft.

All states have a brand registry, and have to be approved thru your AG office to be assured nobody else has one that could be confused with yours.

When considering a brand design, it is best to have no closed areas, like a tight O or any closed letter. (as this can and often causes the brand to "blow out" or burn the entire area.)

As to when, I always brand while I have them up at weaning. They only go thru this experience the one time and it's there forever.

spoon":xhyg8esi said:
For those that have experience at it is the technique (sp) hard to learn? I assume serious damage could be done if done incorrectly.

The first time I branded a cow someone handed me the iron and said "dont smear it". Its not an art.

Is there a good reason for branding versus eartags notches, etc?

Brands are permanent. Tags can be clipped and notches can be modified. Tatoos are also a good idea but should be accompanied by a brand for quick id. If your cattle get mixed with someone elses cattle its easier to see the brand than try to read a tatoo.

Is it legal in all states or have the PETA people got this outlawed in some states?

I have no idea why this would be illegal anywhere. It is required in many areas.

I think brands are cool but I'm not sure I want to stick a red hot branding iron on a calf. Paybacks someday might be painful. :shock:

It only happens once and they forget about it. I personally brand, vaccinate, and castrate my show steers and they seem to get over it once they realize that i'm the one that feeds them.

I thought I read somewhere that placement of the brand is important to be considered. Can anyone comment on where and why. Two of ours are branded (one of them twice). The brands are not in the same place on either cow.

Rib brands are frowned on be the slaughterhouse. They get docked for them.

angie2":7vgk57z4 said:
novatech":7vgk57z4 said:
Your welcome.
Something I noted in the article was that they recommend a thick brand up to a half inch. I do not use mine that thick. I think mine is only 1/4 inch. This allows the hair to grow back over but still stand out. My cattle are short haired. I would think that the thicker brands are for longer haired cattle or the look you want to end up with.
Good luck

spoon":38jc5dpu said:
I assume serious damage could be done if done incorrectly.

You assume correctly. I'm not going to get into the details, because they are really gross. :( It's also one of those things that looks a whole lot easier than it actually is.

Is there a good reason for branding versus eartags notches, etc?

Well, brands are registered by the state, are on file at the state brand office, and every state can get a copy of that brand if needed. That is not true for ear notches, or ear tags. ;-) It also makes interstate sales a bit easier, due to the requirement of brand inspecting - at least in this state.

Is it legal in all states or have the PETA people got this outlawed in some states?

I am not aware of any states that have outlawed branding, and I believe some states actually require it. Other states require it under open grazing conditions.

I think brands are cool but I'm not sure I want to stick a red hot branding iron on a calf. Paybacks someday might be painful. :shock:

Calves appear to have a short memory once their brand has healed - none of them have held branding against us, anyway. It was not something we enjoyed, but it was necessary.

You might also look into freeze branding. It's supposedly less painful and gives a crisper brand. The thicker brands are recommended for freeze branding.

As far as location, I had to specify the brand location (i.e. right hip) when I registered the brand here in Florida, but they did allow multiple locations to be specified.

Angie because some brands can be simular, but not an exact copy having the brand placed on a different spot helps the inspector find out whos cows are in with yours.
We have two brands that are right rib and one that is left shoulder.

ETF":3nzytv58 said:
You might also look into freeze branding. It's supposedly less painful and gives a crisper brand. The thicker brands are recommended for freeze branding.

As far as location, I had to specify the brand location (i.e. right hip) when I registered the brand here in Florida, but they did allow multiple locations to be specified.

Check with your state and see if they recognize "freeze brands"-- Montana and some of the other brand states only recognize hot iron brands as a proof of ownership.....

angie2":2iz5b17c said:
I thought I read somewhere that placement of the brand is important to be considered. Can anyone comment on where and why. Two of ours are branded (one of them twice). The brands are not in the same place on either cow.

Placement is critical, because it is part of the registering process. Brands can be registered for either shoulder, either rib, or either hip - but the final say of where a brand is placed is determined by the state in which that brand is registered. If a particular brand is registered for a particular county within a state, it cannot be used in other counties. I don't think it is possible to transfer brands from one county to another, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Latest posts