Branding....does anybody or everybody brand?

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
I recently branded about 45 cows that I have in a herd that is mostly blackAngus and Angus crossed. I used an electric branding iron, this was the first time I had ever done that. I held it on for about a second or untill the cow bawled. Its been a couple of weeks now and there seems to be a scab that is coming off of the brand area. I hope I did it right.
The reason for branding was because I share a lot of fenceline with a neighbor who has black cattle and if they ever got mixed up I don't think either one of us could tell for certain who's were who's. We both ear tag our cattle with different coloured tags, but some of them lose them during the course of a year.Was just wandering how other people brand that has more experience that me.

Banjo":lu3uzh1m said:
I recently branded about 45 cows that I have in a herd that is mostly blackAngus and Angus crossed. I used an electric branding iron, this was the first time I had ever done that. I held it on for about a second or untill the cow bawled. Its been a couple of weeks now and there seems to be a scab that is coming off of the brand area. I hope I did it right.
The reason for branding was because I share a lot of fenceline with a neighbor who has black cattle and if they ever got mixed up I don't think either one of us could tell for certain who's were who's. We both ear tag our cattle with different coloured tags, but some of them lose them during the course of a year.Was just wandering how other people brand that has more experience that me.

We have not yet started the branding thing, but I suspect we will in the future. Most neighbors here do -- am sure a large part of that is to prevent theft, as ear tags are easy to pull. However, I'd be surprised if you got a good, permanent brand with a one-second application. :?:

Banjo":3t3q26x7 said:
I use an electric also, but I hold it on for longer than a second. Probably about 5 seconds, but that can depend on how hot the iron is. My brand is registered to me.

Isomade":15wfxw9h said:
Banjo":15wfxw9h said:
I use an electric also, but I hold it on for longer than a second. Probably about 5 seconds, but that can depend on how hot the iron is. My brand is registered to me.
Yes, what Iso said: make sure the brand is registered to you!!!!

Everyone here brands. IMO, the hot iron brand is still the best and most reliable permanent ID system there is. Ear tags can be removed.

I use my Dad's brand which is on the left rib because that's what my calf table is set up for. I also have a good clean 2 figure/one iron brand with an upside down J and lazy J underneath.

Also bought my sister's brand since she doesn't use it. A good brand is a very valuable property to have. Some have sold over $2K.

My brand is on the right rib so I'd have to reverse the calf table to use it, or else wrassle the calves.

Banjo":2m8ti657 said:
I doubt you got much of a brand. I'm afraid all you did was burn off the hair and lightly blister the hide. When the cow bellers the brand is just beginning to burn. Hold it on until the branded skin is about the color of a new baseball glove. ;-) ..If the hair was long this probably would be 4-5-6 seconds.

We just freeze branded for the first time last week. We'll find out in a couple of weeks if it worked or not. For the brood cows and replacement heifers, we use their 4-digit ID number. For the steers and feeder heifers, we just use the last 2 digits.

I have to agree. Highly doubt you got a good brand. Baseball glove covers it or we were always told caramel colored. We clip the hair first as this makes for less slipping with an electric brand.
Here in crappy CA a freeze brand is not a legal proof of ownership on cattle. We want to add a freezebrand as well as a hotbrand as to make for easier identification from a distance. Still working on the details of the freezebrand ourselves. Not getting great information from people around here.
Double R

When they're all the same color it can be tough to tell everyone apart even after they've been branded. We use ear notches and colored tags for ID in addition to branding and it's a whole lot easier to read from a distance than brands are. Sometimes even then it's hard to tell if you get them mixed up before branding time.

I know I said that I held it on for one second, but really it was one long second probably in realllity one to three seconds actually. I experimented around on a few but when I held it too long it starte to melt the skin and slide around. Most of them .....Cows... are starting to peel off where the brand is. There was a heifer or two that I just put the brand on then back off like one second, they may not take. Anyway, thanks for all the input.

Banjo":ypw5brch said:
I know I said that I held it on for one second, but really it was one long second probably in realllity one to three seconds actually. I experimented around on a few but when I held it too long it starte to melt the skin and slide around. Most of them .....Cows... are starting to peel off where the brand is. There was a heifer or two that I just put the brand on then back off like one second, they may not take. Anyway, thanks for all the input.

So you're saying you have given some 3-D brands? (when they slide we call it 3-D... it happens)

Hold it on and rock it/roll it until you get a nice copper color (baseball glove, caramel, etc.)... and yes they will peel off after the fact but it stays...

...nothing like the smell of burnt hair and skin to start the day...

...band/brand/tattoo/dehorn/deworm day is not too far away!

DavisBeefmasters":2eqnvxdz said:
Banjo":2eqnvxdz said:

So you're saying you have given some 3-D brands? (when they slide we call it 3-D... it happens)

Hold it on and rock it/roll it until you get a nice copper color (baseball glove, caramel, etc.)... and yes they will peel off after the fact but it stays...

...nothing like the smell of burnt hair and skin to start the day...

...band/brand/tattoo/dehorn/deworm day is not too far away!

Lol! Amen to that! With an electric iron we clip the brand spot for beginner branders. They don't seem to slip when you clip ;-)