Branding cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

dpillard

Reaction score
We are looking for helpful info in branding our cattle. we have never done this. it is required for the texas longhorn association. thanks for the help

When placing the iron to the hide start in one fluid motion placing the bottom of the iron to the hide and roll upwards.
The hide should look like saddle leather when finshed and not bar-b-que.

we have an electric brand, can it be done in a squeeze shoot or do they need to be down on their side? how long do you hold the brand on the hide? do you have to shave the hair before branding. do you put anything on it after the brand?

thanks

dpillard":2736l0i8 said:
we have an electric brand, can it be done in a squeeze shoot or do they need to be down on their side? how long do you hold the brand on the hide? do you have to shave the hair before branding. do you put anything on it after the brand?

thanks

Read the above post I said one fluid motion your branding not cooking the cow, and no nothing needs to be put on the brand done properly.
Better yet find someone who knows how to brand cattle before you cook that pen of hide and horns.

CB - I always just come straight down. Hold for three and done Im not sure rolling would even work with my brand due to the design, but whats the purpose of the role.

Just to keep from smuging if you arent steady enough when you come down?

3MR":2itr5xxi said:
CB - I always just come straight down. Hold for three and done Im not sure rolling would even work with my brand due to the design, but whats the purpose of the role.

Just to keep from smuging if you arent steady enough when you come down?

I have found you get a better readable brand by rolling the brand gently upwards. But my brand doesn't look like a billboard either.

Being a newb and reading about this I seem to recall you are supposed to gently rock it left to right. Or roll it left to right. But I suppose that depends on whether your brand is wider or taller. Its just to make sure the edges of the brand make contact. Atleast thats what I gathered from reading about it.

Walt

My brand is 3MR, but the "M" set up higher and the end leg of the "R" drops down and makes a circle at the end. I Like big brands. Each letter is 4", but the brand is larger because of the offset.

This may be a little off the subject but when you're branding and pouring on fly meds. don't do it at the same time. Some fly meds are flammable and will catch on fire.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not but also choose a spot that is relatively flat. Brandin' in that hollow spot high up on their rump ain't the spot.

Some tips I recommend:

- First off, chose a brand that is not overly complicated, because too many closed areas in the brand will cause it to blotch.

- Have a good fire source so irons are nice and hot, not cherry red, but a nice hot ash grey.

- Either restrain animal in headgate or rope and hold down. When applying brand, if animals jumps, immediately pull brand off and reapply when animal stops moving.

- Finished brand should be the color of saddle leather.

I use an electric iron. I also roll the brand from bottom to top. If I'm branding in cold weather, most times I will shave the spot to be branded. I also spray it with wd-40 when done.

mind235":u9n7dbl2 said:
Where you get an electric brand and how you get it to the brand you want

Check with your local vet for getting in touch with your state's association for brand registration. I assume N.Y. has such an organization - Texas does. Design your brand, submit it for registration and have it built by any number if brand builders. Or build it your self (not electric), I built my own.

Latest posts