brand recognition

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
My question is for those of you that buy feeders. My area doesn't require a brand on cattle, but I've been debating about getting a freeze brand for my farm anyway. My thought on this is being a smaller guy in the industry the buyers might remember a brand on calves that did well for them in a feedlot rather than the name the auctioneer reads off when my calves come into the ring. The hope would be that with them remembering the brand if the calves did well for them they would be more inclined to bid a penny more.
Does this sound like a stupid thought or does my idea have any merit?

Cheaper and quicker to use a hot iron. I have seen freeze brands that don't show up for a year. So on calves it might not work like planned every time. Whereas a hot iron brand will show up.
Here at the big sales they only tag the singles. The groups are just identified by the brand. I am certain the buyers do recognize some of the brands. The auctioneer certainly does.

I feel brands and ear tags definitely help when selling....if it's a consistently good product. I'd hot iron them though. Buyers seem to like hot iron brands and knife cut for whatever reason.

We have always branded until this year. We will brand our replacements and any bull calves we retain at weaning. There are several factors that were considered when making the decisions. Our feeder buyers prefer calves with no brands on their hide. We don't have electricity at several of our pastures if we work them ourselves. Those we take to the vet cost more if we brand. We give shots and ear tag them. This is our first year so will see how it works after a few years.

I think it is a good idea, I would go with a freeze brand. One freeze brand comes to mind that is very distinctive and stands out is Firesweep Ranch's brand. Do a search on here for some of her posts and see if you can see it on some of her cattle, she also gave some tips on freeze branding in some of her posts back in the day.

Ken

Latest posts