Brahmanxhighlander

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
Has this cross ever been done? I would like to see what the calf would look like.

I tricked you :banana: It wasn't intentional. ;-) Someone most have bred a Scotchmen or a brahmandler.

Interestung thought. Since one does well in extreme heat and the other in extreme cold, I wonder where the cross would line up. I bet it would be an ugly thing to look at.

one thing is for sure that cross would burn up in the summer.if it took after the highlander.an freeze in the winter.if it took after the brimmer.

I don't imagine this cross would be very desirable. I don't believe the animal would freeze or burn up. I guess it depends what what extreme you would put these animals through. Remember though, BWard has Gerts in Canada and several Gert breeders are located in NY. I know it gets cold up there and they do just fine. I am sure some highlanders are located further south then you would expect too.

Acclimation is key when it comes to an animal withstanding its environment.

As for a name, I prefer Scotchman from what has been listed so far.

I have seen some nellorexhiglanders but they had not a lot of ear, wich a brahma mostly gives. these crossbred bulls had a very sligt hump, high and long horns and a dense coat. They had grown well, and looked healthy albeit their thighs were a little thin. The only heifer weaned outstanding Blonde dacuitaine cross calves.

Having raised brahman cross cattle and been a ranch manager for a Highland ranch I would have to say that cross would be the lowest milking broodcow on this planet plus have some extra downers like:
fertility problems, latest puberty on record, leanest meat on record with 100% running Select maybe, pinkeye problems, and an awesome YG of maybe 0.3 LOL

Late puberty, true but good milk as I remember. they sold the cow after fift calf, she got the first at three and one each year.

VanC":1y655x7f said:
Interestung thought. Since one does well in extreme heat and the other in extreme cold,
  • >I wonder where the cross would line up.<
I bet it would be an ugly thing to look at.
probably the mason/dixon line.. neutral territory. no body on either side would want it
;-)

i think i might have this cross,bought a big bred brimmer heifer at sale barn.the result is a yellow/red tiger stripe with lots of hair.i kept her for a cow because she grew as good as all the rest and didnt think she would bring much as a feeder.i brd her to an angus bull and will calve in march. she has made a fine cow so far stays in good shape on hay i dont feed grain to heifers i keep for cows they have to work for a living. she is ugly with all that hair.

Ugly Ugly Ugly. It also reminds me of the Beefalo. Probably about as viable in any market. Yuck I'm still thinking of fingernails scratching on the blackboard. Please do not attempt this at home. (But if you do post apicture)

mama
P1010024.JPG

the light colored one is the heifer being worked by two 3 month old border collies that I raised
P7140070.JPG

Latest posts