Brahman influenced steers

Help Support CattleToday:

sedrick_hall

Reaction score
Brahman influenced steers typically get docked at the sale barn. Its hard for me to believe buyers would buy these cattle if they couldn't make money off them. Has anyone fed out Santa Gertrudis x, tigerstripe, Brangus x, etc.? If so, what were the results?

What I'm getting at is, if someone had these type cattle and retained ownership would they lose money in the end?

sedrick_hall":1sl9mf2l said:
Brahman influenced steers typically get docked at the sale barn. Its hard for me to believe buyers would buy these cattle if they couldn't make money off them. Has anyone fed out Santa Gertrudis x, tigerstripe, Brangus x, etc.? If so, what were the results?

What I'm getting at is, if someone had these type cattle and retained ownership would they lose money in the end?

I think the real question is are you getting docked at the end of the year. General speaking you have lower mortality rates, higher growth rates on poor forage, lower disease incidents better heat tolerance so retained weight gain.
Yes Bramer influenced cows bring less but are you making less is the real question.

I think it depends on what feeder you use to feed them out and market them. If you ship them to Iowa to be fed out you would probably take a beating. But if you have a feeder that specilizes in Brahman influenced cattle and can market them via the programs that don;t discriminate you could probably do ok.

dun

Caustic Burno":i3vywvsm said:
sedrick_hall":i3vywvsm said:

I think the real question is are you getting docked at the end of the year. General speaking you have lower mortality rates, higher growth rates on poor forage, lower disease incidents better heat tolerance so retained weight gain.
Yes Bramer influenced cows bring less but are you making less is the real question.

Good point. Especially if the money you got in you herd is in Brimmer influenced cattle.

It depends. Especially on the time of year. The Brahman- influenced calves an be fed in the late spring, summer and early fall anywhere. They would not do very well right now in a Colorado feed yard with a couple of feet of snow. You can feed in S. Texas but only have one packer to bid on the cattle.

Dr. Joe Paschal presented a program at the 2005 Beef Short Course at Texas A&M about the fact that the Brahman influenced calves were getting an unfair dock when you looked at their efficiency. The Nolan Ryan Tender-aged program has created a market for the ear-ed influenced cattle.

Yes indeed I feed them out. Unfortuneately I won't have enough steers this year for fill the order for people who buy them. This was a heifer year for me. Seems just about everything born was a heifer. It is time to build the herd back up. If ten more steers were on the place, I could feed them out and haul them to the processors.

Not only do I sell them, I eat them too. Better than anything I can buy at the supermarkets.

They work for me and my climate.

I saw a whole herd of white face brindle cattle that look to be F-1's, and brangus on a ranch that has traditionally been pure angus. I am guessing there are 200 brindle and 100 brangus there now. Those folks were die hards. They sold out just about everything in the '05 drought.

When it gets to be 100 degrees everyday in the summer and you watch which cows hang out in the stock tanks panting worse than dogs do, they won't be brahma influenced cows. If you have never seen cows pant like that in pure misery, you wouldn't understand.

Live in south alabama, and the climate is hot and humid all summer, have some brahmas and few brangus and they do better in the heat than anything else we have, stand all day in heat no problems, others panting looking like they are going to drop out. They seem to grow off faster, less problems, I have started to cross them wirth Charlois Bull.

BC":19gd7itn said:
  • It depends. Especially on the time of year.
The Brahman- influenced calves an be fed in the late spring, summer and early fall anywhere. They would not do very well right now in a Colorado feed yard with a couple of feet of snow. You can feed in S. Texas but only have one packer to bid on the cattle.

Dr. Joe Paschal presented a program at the 2005 Beef Short Course at Texas A&M about the fact that the Brahman influenced calves were getting an unfair dock when you looked at their efficiency. The Nolan Ryan Tender-aged program has created a market for the ear-ed influenced cattle.
you are about 100% maybe a tad over. correct as it gets colder the feed theses F1 get is burned up in energy just trying too survive. forget about ant significant weight gain untill warmer temps come around . by then their bos taurus pen mates have past them up

ALACOWMAN":30bivqdg said:
BC":30bivqdg said:
  • It depends. Especially on the time of year.
The Brahman- influenced calves an be fed in the late spring, summer and early fall anywhere. They would not do very well right now in a Colorado feed yard with a couple of feet of snow. You can feed in S. Texas but only have one packer to bid on the cattle.

you are about 100% maybe a tad over. correct as it gets colder the feed theses F1 get is burned up in energy just trying too survive. forget about ant significant weight gain untill warmer temps come around . by then their bos taurus pen mates have past them up

http://www.ionet.net/~brahman/brahmanF.html

Latest posts